Chapter 12

Chapter 12

“That son of a bitch!” Daniel cursed as he punched the nearest tree over and over again. “He got away from us! This damn fog! Where the hell did he go!?”

“Dan calm down,” Nick told him. “He had a head start; we didn’t even know that he was still alive when we put him in the store room.”

“Alive? You’re kidding right?” He looked to Nichole with narrowed eyes. “The man was stone dead when we brought him into the store room! Or did you forget that his whole neck had been twisted?”

Nick flinched before taking a step back, her hands clasped together. “I’m… I’m not saying that he was faking it but… maybe he just isn’t human…” she looked back towards the manor. “We should just do as we planned; let’s get Jacob and Jeannine out of here, when we’re far away and safe we’ll come back. And then maybe we can beat this curse when we do.”

Daniel gritted his teeth together, he didn’t want to give up the search just like that but he knew that Nichole was right, with one more hit to the tree he pushed himself off. “Alright…” he said with a sigh as he turned to look at her. “Let’s go get the others, we might as well take the information that we have as well when we escape, that way we can look it over when we get the chance.”

They ran back towards the manor, but as they did they kept an eye for Sam and now Dmitri, as they reached the long yard of the manor they heard Dmitri laughing.

“You really think you can break this curse? Don’t be such fools, this curse can’t be broken easily, the Black Fairy will always remain even when all of your kind is gone. But then you fools tried to protect yourself from him by putting up Fairy Rings all along your land. What you didn’t know that it can weaken after a time, oh let’s say fifty years or so?”

They looked around trying to find where his voice was coming from but it seemed to be coming in every direction that they looked.

Until Nichole looked up towards the roof of the house. “There he is!” she drew Daniel’s attention as she pointed up to the roof. He looked up and saw Dmitri holding on to the Celtic cross that was at the very top of the manor. How did he even get up there?

“What the hell are you talking about?!” Daniel demanded as he yelled to him. “What Fairy Rings?”

“Don’t pretend that your blind boy, you’ve seen them, they’re all around here, stones placed in a cercal, along with herbs and flowers with special powers some even grow around the Wolf’s Ward’s tomb, but then you were grieving about the loss of your step sister so I guess your ignorance can be understood somewhat.”

“What the hell are you?”

Dmitri laughed, throwing his head back, the moon lighting him and his movements. He stopped in mid laugh, even though they couldn’t see him well they knew he was giving a twisted smile. “I think you have much more to worry about then what I am right now…”

“What do you mean?” Nick asked, her voice filled with worry.

The clouds covered the moon making it impossible to see Dmitri, when the clouds lifted bringing out the moon once more Dmitri was no longer there.

Panic filled Daniel as his feet began to move forward then soon he broke out into a run, Nichole not far behind him.

They ran through the doors, bursting them open as they entered, both breathing hard as they did, they looked around moving quickly, Nichole stopped short with a quick intake of breath. Daniel moved to her, and he too did the same thing as she did.

Laying on the stairs was Jacob, blood ad pooled all the way down the stairs from his bleeding thigh, on the wall was a message written in blood.

I’m sorry Bye-bye.