Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Daniel walked through the hall on the third floor the next morning still feeling so incredibly tried, why he didn’t know. He slept great but his whole body felt heavy. Like something was trying to pull him down.

The sound of the wolves howling drew his attention to a nearby window and looked outside to see that the forest was coated by a very thick fog, Daniel was used to seeing the fog in the early morning but not to this extent, why was there so much of it outside?

Something clattered to the floor looking down at his feet he saw a key that looked strangely familiar, it had a note attached reading: Go To The Attic,in a style reminiscent of historical movies set in the Victorian era.

“The attic..?” frowning slightly he went to the stairs that were down the hall and headed to where the note said.

Why he was doing it he didn’t know, but he felt like he was being drawn to it. Like something was making his own body listen to the note. “I guess I don’t have much of a choice in the matter…” he said to himself as he went to the stairs. Once there he went up to the third floor he saw someone standing there. Dressed in all white with dark brown hair and blue eyes, he was in his mid-thirties.

It was Mathew Wakefield.

“Dad…?”

He turned and walked up the single stairs (since the other floors had two heading upwards) to the fourth floor not saying a single word in response. Daniel chased after him, why was he here? Was this all still a dream, was he still asleep or did he go crazy in one whole day?

When his father reached the top of the stairs he headed down the empty hallway, the door opened by itself and his father stepped inside before looking back, smiling at him then vanishing into thin air.

What the hell was going on? Daniel shook his head, knowing that he wouldn’t get an answer by thinking it now; he then went through the door and saw the identical closed doors. All dark with the same wood and knobs, then those doors suddenly moved all about the room, some from the right went to the left, or to the front or to the right. When he turned to look at the door behind himself he saw the door that he had gone through vanished.

Looking back at the other doors they finally stopped moving, looking to the key that was in his hand Daniel knew what he had to do. Going to the left he tired the door, it wouldn’t open.  Going back to the one behind himself tried it, it didn’t open ether. He tried all six and none of them opened.

But then there was the final door, the one that lead to the roof, taking the key he placed in into the keyhole as he turned the key he had an unwanted feeling forming in the pit of his stomach. That feeling became worse as he heard the click that would open the door.

Opening it Daniel came in contact with an exceedingly bright white light, that made him almost go blind. When he could see again or so he thought, all he could see was white. Taking a step forward his bare feet suddenly became very cold, looking down he saw that he was now standing a heap of snow, Daniel looked around, his blue eyes darting about everywhere he looked all he saw was snow, fog and trees.

Daniel then realized where he actually was.

He was in the forest that was near by the Wakefield manor, well part of the property actually, a large amount of the forest and even a whole mountain, which he could see just barely from the freezing winds of snow and ice. But as he walked something else accrued to Daniel, he didn’t feel cold.

Standing in the middle of winter in only plaid pajama bottoms and a plan gray T-shirt yet he wasn’t freezing to death.

“This really must be a dream; otherwise I’d be dead by now dressed like this…” he said to himself as he looked around trying to figure out where to go from here.