Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Samantha opened her eyes, all the thing that she could see was the forest, a slight fog coming from the forest. Glancing behind her was the Wakefield manor, the sun was beginning to set giving off an orange gold look to the cloudy sky, looking down at herself she saw that she was in the dress that she slept in. The summer wind blew softly through the trees, making the hem of her dress lift slightly to blow with the wind, pushing strands of her hair out of her face as she looked around.

No one was here, all she could hear was the wind, she was completely alone, but didn’t feel like it. She actually felt at peace right now.

Closing her eyes Sam listened to the sound of the wind, the leaves rustling in the trees, the warm wind against her skin, the sound of a wolf howled out.

Opening her eyes she looked towards the forest Sam saw a white wolf staring at her with blue eyes. That was strange.

Sam had never seen a white wolf before, well except on the internet but that was really it. But as it stood there she saw something around its neck. It was the very key that her father had given her before his death.

She looked underneath her dress just to be sure, and sure enough the key was gone. Looking back to the wolf she called out to it. “Hey! That’s my key you’re wearing! Could I have it back?” the wolf turned around and ran off into the forest. Figures, things like asking an animal politely for something never works in the real world like it dose for Disney. So much for that…

Without even looking back San ran into the forest, chasing after the white wolf, she didn’t know how it even got her key that her father had given her, all she knew was that she needed it back right now.

The sun set even further as she ran through the forest trying to find the white wolf that had her key. The forest began to look dark, but she couldn’t go back, not without the key. It symbolized the head of the family, but also something treasured that her father had given her.

Sam turned her head in every direction, trying to keep a look out for white fur, and sure as hell hoping that it wasn’t a rabbit that would just happen to hope on by looking for food.

Stopping in her tracks Samantha looked around to get her baring’s, she didn’t so much care about getting lost as she did in finding that key, but what she also kept an eye out for where definitive markers that would tell her if she was going the right way or not. She knew what to look for, medium statues of wolves that would be pointing in a certain direction. If they were pointing towards her then she was going the right way, pointing ahead of her or any other direction was bad, it would lead her back to the manor, her father had once told her that there were a number of stone markers that hikers could use if they were to get lost, since wolves did roam the area and mountain side it would indefinitely cause a time to panic.

But Sam didn’t have such a time, she would head closer to the mountain, which would be where wolves denned when they had pups, it was a blurry memory but when she was very young her father would go and take her to see them from a distance so not to worry the mother wolf.

“Ahhh! Come on Sam, get your head in the game!” she said to herself with a quick shake of her head. Keeping her eyes open for the statues Sam headed deeper into the fog filled forest.

Up to seven times Samantha went the wrong way; it shouldn’t have surprised her that much considering she hadn’t been in the forest since she was seven years old trapped in the cold dark hole of a cave. Watching in where to place her feet so not to stumble and land flat on her face, Sam saw that she was getting closer to the mountain.

She had no clue in how long she had been walking, but she could tell it had been a while for now it was completely dark, the only thing guiding her way was the pale moonlight and the stars in the sky. Which the stars were little help, Samantha had never been good in star charting, or in any kind of navigation. She stopped when something blocked her path. It was the white wolf.