Chapter 1

Chapter 1

          “Oh wow---!” Samantha Wakefield breathed as she rolled down the window to let in the warm breeze for the forest air into the car. The dust from the dirt road was now non-existent dew to the downpour of rain that had only passed an hour ago. The sky was cloudy, the sun breaking through to bring natural warm light only to be covered by clouds once more. The fog still remained, hovering a foot above the ground.

          But that would clear soon; the fog never lasted long unless it rained for a long time.

          She looked back to her older brother Daniel. “Isn’t the trees with the fog incredible Daniel?”

          Daniel chuckled softly as he continued to drive their car down the damp road. “I guess if you like that sort of thing, but since we’ve been seeing nothing but trees and trees in the past hour or so, you’d think that you would be sick of seeing it by now Sam.”

          She shook her head, sending her light brown hair about. “No way! Compared to the city this is far much better then back home, the air is much cleaner here, not to mention we can actually think out here without the need of getting earplugs to block out the sounds of traffic and other stuff!”

          He had to agree with her there, there had been a lot more violence in the city recently. “Yeah, I suppose you’re right, it’d be nice to just sit back and think for a bit without too much interference with noise.” I just hope it won’t be too quite. Daniel thought as he glanced in the rear-view mirror towards the backseat of the car where there friend was being awfully silent. “Hey Nick, you alive back there or something?”

          Groaning, the sound of movement could be heard before a mop of very short dirty streaked blonde hair could be seen followed by a pair of irritated lavender eyes. “Shut up Dan, can’t you tell I’m dying back here?” Nichole Freedmond moaned as she ran a hand through her hair to move it out of her eyes. “Uhg… God I am not made for these roads…”

          “This coming from a woman who can mountain bike in bumpy terrain, snowboard on the hardest hills without as much as a single scratch and yet you complain about bumpy dirt roads?”

          She cut him a deep glare before falling back into her seat. “Shut it Daniel! Gwad, why can’t we just stop for five minutes or something?”

          That’s because we did before the rain hit… Daniel thought with slight sarcasm. “Keep complaining like that Nick and you’ll be walking to the place by yourself, whether it rains again or not.” Daniel muttered as he turned his attention back to the road.

          Nick stuck her tongue out at him. “Dan you are such an ass with a capital A, you’ve been acting like this ever since I wanted to marry Sam!”

          Back when Daniel was six years old and Samantha four, he had become friends with Nick, who later on when Sam was nearby and then asked Daniel if his sister could become Nick’s bride. Daniel said yes, only to shockingly discover later on that Nick was actually a girl and not a boy like he had thought.

          Daniel went red in the face at such a memory. “Tha-el went red in the face at such a memory. "that’s only because I thought you were a boy!”

          “You still said ‘yes’ though.” Nick said deadpan.

          “I was six years old dammit!” Dan snapped at her by glaring through the rear-view mirror. “How the hell was I supposed to tell the difference for a boy and girl at such an age when you always dressed like a boy?”