Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Be willing to drop everything and run when Sam is in danger, that’s what it means to be an older brother. That is the job that you have.”

Those words were stuck in Daniel’s head in the next day; he couldn’t even eat that much in the way of breakfast. And the words from his sister kept coming back every now and again. He hadn’t even seen Sam since that night ether.

Nick had told him that she had taken her breakfast and a book to the garden and eat outside, wanting to be alone for a little while.

He still wanted to talk about last night, of what he heard from her and Dmitri talking about the Black Wolf and the Wolf’s Ward. But at the moment he just couldn’t move.

“You look like shit dude.” Denis placed his hand on Daniel’s shoulder. “What’s up?”

“What do you think of Dmitri Blackforest?”

“The blonde guy?” he thought about it for a moment. “Not sure really, haven’t had the chance to talk to the guy yet.”

“Oh…”

“Hey Daniel?” Jeannine came over next. “Do you know where Samantha is? I need to talk to her.”

Daniel covered his head with his hands and let out a groan. “She’s in the garden, but she wants to be alone for the time being so let her be.”

Jen didn’t looked too pleased about hearing that. But reluctantly left him alone to go find Mary.

“You really are in a bad mood, what happened?”

Daniel looked to the man, keeping his head resting on top of his arms. “I just haven’t been able to sleep well last night… that’s all.”

“If I die suddenly, I want you to bury me in three days’ time. Okay?”

He sighed deeply and ran a hand over his face. What did she mean by that?

Samantha sat on the wooden bench taking a bite of scrambled eggs while looking over the seventh book of her family history. She knew Jen wanted to read this book so very badly, but she wanted to look through it just a bit. Her father wanted her to find it for a reason, then there had to be something important for her to see inside this book, and by damn she was going to look for it, even if it took all day today.

“You seem to be enjoying that.” Jacob said walking over with the slight wave of the hand and a smile on his face. “What’s the book?”

“Remember the book that went missing twelve years ago?” he nodded. “And do you also remember how I had become trapped in the underside of the fireplace?”

His eyes went wide, realizing in what she was saying he sat down in a chair across from her. “You mean the book that had been missing was under the fireplace?”

 She nodded this time. “Yeah, it was an unusual place to even find it…”

“What made you stuck there anyway?”

“The carvings…”

He frowned. “Carvings? What carvings?”

She looked at him. “The ones that are at the bottom of the book shelves, haven’t you ever noticed them before?” then again, she hadn’t noticed them ether until recently too so the likelihood of her cousin knowing it was pretty slim to none.

He shook his head like she knew he would. “No sorry, I haven’t seen them.”

She smiled at him slightly. “You should go look at it, if you watch where you go, you’ll notice that it will change depending on where you turn, I followed it up until I saw a wolf with a key around its neck.”