Chapter 20

Adam slowly stepped out of the room, not wanting to intrude in a private moment. He tucked his hands into his pocket as he leaned against the wall, lips pressed into a thin line.

Eve looked terrible. A bandage had been wrapped around his head, a few of them peeking from beneath his hospital gown. His hands clenched inside his pockets, the thought of sinking his fists into Evan's face providing little pleasure in his twisted mind.

Footsteps resounded in the hallway, causing Adam to look up. A man and a woman walked down the hall. He watched as they slowed down in front of Eve's room.

"Who are you?" Adam mumured, glancing at the couple. 

The man frowned before the woman spoke, both of them flashing their badges, "Detective Marissa Rodriguez and Nick Ramos. Special Victims Unit. We've come to speak with Eve Ken."

Adam's brows furrowed, "He's in there. With his mom."

Ramos had barely enough time to knock when the door opened and Eve's mom stood at the entrance, her eyes rather swollen.

"Mrs. Ken, we'd like to speak with you and your son about the incident," Marissa spoke.

"You must know officer that my son is in no condition to reaccount the traumatic incident," Mrs. Ken said.

The male officer, a lean man with dark hair, frowned, his pen pausing on his notepad, "Surely ma'am, you know we must speak with the victim with events still fresh on his mind.  We could lose vital information if we wait."

Adam watched the officer for a moment. Adam had an idea as to who it might be and the thought of him made him boil with rage. He wanted to castrate the bastard and burn him on the stake. 

"Who was the one that found him?" the officer said, glancing at Adam, "Was it you?"

Adam nodded and the officers lips set in a thin line, "I'm going to have to speak with you young man, please come with me."

Adam followed, knowing he had nothing to hide but something to prove.

*****

Marissa stood behind the window, the witness on the other side speaking with hr partner. The witness was a handsome male, blonde and with greenish blue eyes, a smug smile on his lips. Right away she knew he was the culprit but it was up to Nick to pull the evidence from the suspects lips.

"Evan," Nick said, "Why don't you tell me what happened yesterday."

The young man tilted his head, clearly in confusion, "What do you mean? I was at school all day, the teachers would tell you so."

Ramos frowned and crossed his arms, "And after that?"

Evan smiled, "I went home, did my homework, played some video games and went to bed. Is that all you need to know officer?"

The lawyer, an elderly man with a beard, set a hand on the young man's shoulder, "I think that's it officer. Any other questions you'll be speaking to me."

"We will be requiring a DNA sample of your client," Nick said as the two passed by him.

The lawyer smiled, "Of course."

"How dare you call my son a rapist," Evan's mother said, her lips twisted in fury as she confronted Marissa.

Marissa didn't let her emotions show, "It's all part of the investigation ma'am. Witnesses have reported seeing your son mingling with our victim. We just want to get all our facts and that includes your son's DNA, we have a warrant for it."

Evans mother frowned, "My son is innocent."

******

"I'm sorry Ms. Rodriguez but the boy's DNA is no match for neither two of the semen residue found on Eve," the doctor said, flicking through the papers in her clip board.

Rodriguez and Ramos frowned, "The if not Evan then who?"

"You can ask Eve. The boy seems much more awake and alert today than before."

"Very well then," Ramos spoke, glancing at the hospital room that held the young Eve.

The detectives left, never noticing Adam's shadow that was luring just around the corner.

********

"You runaway and after a year you come back? What strange circumstances we have. Tell me my boy, what have you come to beg to your father this time?" the deep voice said, followed by a series of foot steps that echoed through the room.

It was a rather elaborate office, the refurbished mahogany desk glistening beneath the golden hue of the lamps, a plated name tag sitting on top of it. The man's name and position written on it.

Head Attorney Abraham Price.

"And using a false name to boot," The lawyers said with a snort, "Adam Hale. What a ridiculous last name."

Adam clenched his fist, "It was mother's surname. Don't you dare trash her memory."

The attorney, a tall man the looked eerily similar to Adam, save for the silver streaks at his temples, the faint traces of wrinkles barely framing his brow.

"Son," Abraham said, taking a book from the shelf, "How long will you refuse to follow in my footsteps? You know the fund I set aside for you is only if you begin that path."

Adam stood, turning his back to his father, "I didn't come here for that. I came here because I want you to represent someone. And I want you to put someone away."

"My my," Adam's father murmured, "Such an odd request. You know that will cost you."

The young man turned towards the older one, "How about this. Send that bastard to jail and find justice for Eve and I will do as you say, just as long as my brother continues his own dream."

Cold blue eyes glinted, burning with intensity, clearly searching for any lies, a practice the attorney had achieved after many years of experience, "You drive a hard bargain my son." Abraham grinned, "As expected. Very well then, I will need the information of this friend of yours, but as of tonight I want you back home. Your brother can stay at the house if he wants, but you will be coming home."

Adam turned, his hand on the door knob, "Yes father."

A/N: Sorry for the wait. Work is practically my life, especially when you're in the customer service business. 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter, until next time.