Chapter 17

Eve half expected for Adam to come over and apologize, but each time he checked the hour, his heart continued to sink deep inside his chest. Perhaps it hadn't been the best time to conflict with his only friend and ally.

"But it wasn't my fault!" Eve muttered to Wolverine who only meowed back in reply. Eve huffed and flopped back against his bed, grabbing the body pillow and wrapping his legs around it. The white cat refused to go home and Eve didn't want to go over to Adam's without feeling awkward. "It's not like I'm the one who should apologize! He was the one who got angry at me all of a sudden!"

Meow, the cat huffed, licking her paw and rubbing her face.

Eve rolled his eyes and glanced at his cell that rested against his bedside desk. It hadn't really made a single peep, not even a text from his mother. 

His stomach grumbled. He really hadn't had anything to eat since the morning, the little bacon he had from Adam's breakfast had already done it's duty in providing nourishment to his unfit body.

Reluctantly he left the soft cushions of his bed, slowly shuffling down the stairs and towards the fridge, his mother's cooking saved in containers, a bowl of left over lasagna catching his eye. He felt his heart clench inside his chest at a memory that resurfaced.

A memory of how he first met Adam. 

Eve reached for it, his eyes welling up, unable to let go of the memories. 

Screw it. Screw it all. I curse the day I met you.

**********

Monday

He didn't dare to wear any of the flamboyant clothes he had in his closet, nor comb his dark hair.

An over sized t-shirt over baggy jeans and an even bigger sweater over it was his attire for going back to school on Monday. He had thought of trying to convince his mother from refraining from going to school by saying he was sick, but having a certified nurse for a mother, it was quite difficult. Even then, he wouldn't be able to use the same excuse till the end of his senior year. 

With each step he took towards the massive building, he could feel his heart accelerate, his breath held inside, the fear of passing through the metallic doors mounting higher and higher in in his chest.  He could already imagine the anger, the humiliation he was going to suffer once he passed through those doors, the jeers and insults that he was already hearing in his mind, the hatred that Evan displayed at the campfire flying back into his face.

He could feel the fading bruises throb under his skin, the blurred memories of how he got them coming back in full force in frightening clarity.

It was at that moment he saw Adam's car pull up in the school parking lot and for a moment Eve felt relieved. But when he saw the man himself, cool and composed with his leather jacket slung over his shoulder while the other hand held his messenger bag and completely oblivious of the looks he received from the majority of the female population, Eve felt anger.

Anger that Adam didn't bother reconcile after argument from the day before. Not even a single text or a knock on the door. For a brief moment, when their eyes met, Eve swore he could see a hint of sadness but even then they disappeared when he slid on his sunglasses.

Just watch me, Eve thought,  I don't need you.

The anger boosted his confidence and forced his steps into the school, even though the fear remained within him. As soon as he opened the metallic doors, the loud chattering of the students greeted him, the slamming of lockers and doors, and the laughter that carried itself through the hallways.

For a brief moment he thought he could do it, but as soon as he saw Evan, fear paralyzed him. 

He could see the anger in Evan's icy gaze, the resentment reflecting back at him, his lips moving as his words became lost in the crowd.

But Eve knew what he said.

You'll pay for that.

A/N: Thought it was about time for an update. Especially my fellow readers who lovingly left their sweet comments begging me to update. ;D Don't worry I haven't forgotten about this book. I'll try my best to finish this as soon as I can.

Now have some cute fluff.