Chapter 7: Birth of a Weird Combo

"That's why... " Hinata drawled, excitement apparent in his eyes. "Whenever you get the ball... toss it to me!!! "

"Hey, you two knew how to do a quick set?" Tanaka-san asked with a surprised look in his face.

"Quick?" Hinata questioned. "What's that?"

This guy, is he really that stupid? I mentally inquired as a quiet scoff escaped my lips.

"You know, the fast attack you did just now." Tanaka-san replied. "That's called a quick."

Hinata explained that he had only hit tosses that get up in a ridiculously high arc. Tanaka-san looked flustered, but at the same time amazed. He could not believe that Hinata just did it a second ago, and during our match in the last year of middle school; when his team's setter hit the toss in the wrong direction.

"Huh? That?" Hinata asked. "I don't remember how I did it." He paused for a while, then continued. "But from now on I'll hit any kind of set. " He confidently uttered.

"Any kind, got it?" Then, he turned his body towards me as if to further emphasize his point.

I thought about it for a second.

"We've never done serious combo practices together, it'd be impossible for us to pull off a quick set now." I concluded.

Hinata complained about me being timid as I walked away from him.

"The King sure is not acting very royal, is he?" Tsukishima sneered, the sarcasm within his eyes as clear as daylight. 

Hinata got pissed and shouted at Tsukishima that he'll surely hit the spike right past him next time. The blonde's lips curled upwards as he threw the ginger his 'why don't you try it' expression.

At first it didn't work too well, because Hinata couldn't keep up with my toss. But then, Sugawara-san said that I'm reverting to my middle school self. Knowing that the dumbass' a complete newbie, he suggested that I make use of Hinata's talent. Like a chess player making use of their chess piece.

Hmm, I don't quite get it, but...

"I'm jealous of your athletic ability!" I yelled in aggravation. "Watching you waste it ticks me off!!!"

Hinata looked troubled.

"However..." I trailed off,  staring straight into the shortie's eyes. "I'll make use of that ability of yours!"

That gathered everyone's attention towards us. 

"Run as fast as you can, jump as high as you can, and fly..." I said. "I'll bring the ball to you!"

Meanwhile...

Sakurai's POV

"So, this meeting concludes that the destination of the school trip for the first years is Hokkaido, and for the second years; Osaka." Karasuno's student council president, Takamura-san concludes. "Any objections?"

Everyone shook their heads.

"Well then, meeting adjourned. You are all dismissed." he said.

"Good work everyone!!" The council members said to each other.

As I was about to leave, the President called my name, causing me to halt in my steps.

"Sakurai-san, can we talk for a bit?" I could see a proud smile plastered on his features. 

"Sure.." I shrugged, wondering what would be discussed in our conversation.

He sat down on his seat while I dragged a chair to sit in front of him.