Chapter 1: Encounter

That night, 10 years ago, it was snowing. I was out in the cold, alone. December 22nd, it was my birthday. Rather than spending it with my family, I was all by myself. Mom and dad couldn't come home early because of their work. I know that, that's why, I went on a stroll around the neighbourhood.

I passed through the neighbourhood park. Since no one was there, I started practicing my receives. Alone on my birthday, practicing volleyball. Before I knew it, my tears started to flow. Suddenly, someone patted my shoulder. I looked back, and found a girl staring at me with a worried look on her face.

"Why are you crying?" she asked.

"It's nothing, don't worry about it." I replied, holding back my tears.

She noticed me holding back my tears, then she hugged me.

"You know," she began. "it's best to let your tears flow when you're sad, it's normal for people to cry when they're sad. When you're sad, just let your feelings out. Don't worry, I'll stay by your side until you'll stop crying."

Her words struck my heart. She looks around my age and yet, she seems so wise, shining beautifully in the snowy night. Listening to her words, I started crying again. Wailing. She stayed by my side, still hugging me.

When I started to calm down, she asked me about the issue that made me cry. I told her the whole story, about today being my birthday and stuff.

"Oh, so today's your birthday?" she asked. "Happy Birthday! Ah, I didn't have anything with me right now, so I'll give you this as your birthday present."

She wrapped her red scarf around my neck, then checked her watch. It's 09.27 p.m.

"Oh, it's already late! I gotta go, see you next time!" she said.

"Wait," I said. "What's your name?"

She looked back, "My name is---".

***

RINGGGG!! RINGGGG!! RINGGGG!!

My alarm clock rang. I woke up, feeling irritated. Whenever I had this dream, it will always end up like this.

"WHY DOES THIS DREAM ALWAYS END THIS WAY???!!" I shouted, overwhelmed with frustration.

The birthday I had when I was 5 years old. I can never forget it. I can't remember her face, nor her name, since it was a very brief meeting. However, the memory will never fade away. Up till now, I still kept the red scarf she gave me. I lied down on my bed for a while, then got up to get ready for school.

This is my first day of high school. I decided to enroll in Karasuno High, since I failed to enroll in Shiratorizawa, the most powerful school in the whole prefecture. Karasuno was once a powerhouse school, which reaches the nationals. However, they started to crumble down when their coach, Ukai, retires. They're called 'the fallen crows'. I heard that Coach Ukai is returning. So I enrolled in this school.

Let's see, Class 1-3, huh. I looked at the bulletin board, looking for my class. On the way to my class, I grabbed a club application printout, filled it, then, I handed it over to the Volleyball Club's manager. I rushed to my class to put down my things, then to the toilet to change into gym clothes. Afterwards, I headed to the gymnasium to practice my skills. On the way to the gymnasium... "AH!" someone shouted.

I bumped into someone. It's a girl with long dark-brown pigtails. Her books fell down to the floor. I helped her picked it up.

"Sorry, I was in a hurry." I said.

"Ah, it's okay," she replied. "thank you for helping me pick up my things."

"Then, I'll be going ahead." I rushed into the gymnasium.

Her way of talking seems familiar... I thought. Then, as I started practicing, someone suddenly shouted.

"WHY ARE YOU HERE??!!"

The voice led me to face a shrimpy orange-haired guy. I've met him before. This guy, is the one who wasted his 3 years of junior high school. The one who can jump really high and has strong reflexes, I don't remember his name though. I said in my mind.

Kageyama Tobio, Karasuno High Class 1-3. His comedic, heart-throbbing senior high school life starts here.

***

"As long as I'm here, you're invincible. " - Kageyama Tobio, Hinata Shouyou