Chapter 19

Louis' POV

I tried to keep my focus on the road ahead, but I had some trouble doing so.
Sam and Brian broke up. They broke up! I glanced to my right about a dozen times and the happiness I felt from hearing the news left me every time I did. Samantha looked terrible. She didn't cry, she hated it when people saw her cry, but the heartbroken look on her face killed me. Brian did this. Brian made her sad, but I was determined to cheer her up again. I was going to show her I would always be here for her. I was going to tell her I loved her before anyone else did. Because I don't think I could go through this again and I don't she could either.

It turns out I didn't really need that GPS after all. After getting used to driving on the wrong side of the road and trying to figure out what the road signs meant, I found my way quite easily. I had rented a small bungalow near one of the biggest slopes. The drive didn't take more than one hour, so by the time the clock struck six, we had arrived and even unpacked everything.
The bungalow was nice and luxurious, made entirely out of wood, it had two bedrooms, one huge bathroom, a living room, a kitchen and even a whirlpool outside.
I got a fire going in the huge, old fashioned fireplace, while Samantha started cooking. The cupboards were nicely stocked with all different types of food, which was fortunate since I had forgotten to do the grocery shopping.

'Sam?' I spoke up when she placed two plates of delicious looking pasta on the dinner table. 'Sammy, please talk to me. What are you thinking about?'
She had been silent ever since Brian hang up on her, she hadn't even cried more than a few tears and I was getting worried. Samantha wasn't one to bottle up her feelings and was terrible at hiding them, especially from me, but there was no way for me to find out how she felt when she refused to talk.
She sat down at the table and started eating, I followed her example.
'Sammy? Are you mad at me for taking you here?' I asked after eating in an uncomfortable silence for a while. Or, well, I considered pretty much every silence uncomfortable and usually did my best to avoid them.
Samantha looked at me with a troubled expression which made me suspect the worst, but she shook her head slowly and thoughtfully. 'I'm not mad, Lou. It's not your fault, I should have thought of telling him.'
I scoffed, it wasn't her fault either. It was Brian's, 'He overreacted.' I told her, unable to keep the anger out of my voice. 'He shouldn't have yelled at you. '
'I know,' she replied softly, 'but honestly, can you blame him?'
I looked at her, probably looking as confused as I felt. Sam smiled slightly and explained.
'We kissed, Louis. We kissed and didn't speak for a week. Now that things have gone back to normal he probably thinks it might happen again. You should have seen him last week, he was so annoyed at me for missing you. I think he realized he will never mean as much to me as you do.'
It took me a few seconds to understand what she just told me, but when I did I couldn't help but smile a little.
He will never mean as much to me as you do.
That at least was a beginning.
'But it still doesn't make it right.' I told her stubbornly.
'No,' she said with a sigh, 'no it doesn't.' She fell silent again, absentmindedly poking her food with her fork.
After a few minutes without any conversation from her side I gave up.
'Okay Sam, help me out here. I don't know what you are thinking so I don't know what you want me to say. Do you want me to tell you you'll be okay, that he'll forgive you and you will get back together and pretend it never happened? Because I don't know if I can do that. I don't know if I believe that. I think you're better off without him, I think you should forget about him and move on.'
I got up as I said this and kneeled in front of her. 'Samantha, love, please don't let him hurt you anymore.'
She threw her arms around my neck and hugged me as she finally let out the tears she had been suppressing. 'Because I can't stand by and watch you getting your heart broken.' I whispered. Her tears were soaking my shirt, but right now I couldn't care less. My only thoughts were with the beautiful, sweet, gentle, caring, heartbroken girl in my arms. I closed my eyes to enjoy the feeling of her skin against mine, I could feel my heart beating faster and prayed she couldn't hear it. The last thing she needed right now was a lovesick best friend.
I knew I had been hurting her these last couple of days, but I also knew I wasn't going to let it happen again. From now on I was going to stay with her and as soon as she had gotten over Brian I was going to tell her how I felt. Because I couldn't live like this anymore. I needed her just as much as she needed me. I wasn't going to let her slip through my fingers this time.
'Come on,' I told her as her sobs subdued, 'let's get you cleaned up.'
'Yeah,' she sniffled. Her mascara was smeared and her eyes were red. Smiling I let go of her and walked to my closet in the master bedroom, pulling out two onesies, tossing one at Sam.
'Wanna go outside?' I questioned as I pulled of my jeans and shirt and climbed into the soft fabrics. I wasn't shy about her seeing me in my boxers, I refused using pyjamas and didn't sleep in anything but them. She had gotten used to it.
Sam stripped down as well and I looked away to stop myself from staring.
'Sure.' She said as she took my hand and intertwined our fingers. Electricity shot through my body once again, but I ignored it and smiled down at her.
'You'll be alright.' I told her as I kissed her forehead gently. 'I love you.'
'Love you too.' She answered. 'More than anything or anyone else.'
I had to physically hold myself back from kissing her. Here I was trying to help her getting over Brian while trying to suppress my own feelings. Why did she have to make it this damn hard?