Chapter 14

Samantha's POV

'Do you want to go back inside?' Louis asked me after we had been walking for half an hour. I sighed and looked at him. 'No.' I answered truthfully. 'But I think we should. Brian will get worried.'
Louis nodded. 'Yeah, maybe we should.' He fell silent again before asking something I knew he had been thinking about for a while. 'Why did you ask us to join you guys by the way? I thought this was supposed to be a romantic date..'
I shook my head, 'You know Brian.' I replied, trying, but failing to hide the sadness in my voice. 'He is always busy and now that he has a day of he wants to have fun. He's annoying when he is drunk.' I shrugged and looked at Louis. He sent me an apologetic smile and took my hand.
'Don't worry, love, he'll come around. And if he doesn't, well , you'll still have me.' He said with a cheeky wink as he squeezed my hand a little.
'I know.'
He smiled again and the two of us started making our way back to the club. Louis was still holding my hand, but I didn't mind. It was always nice having him close to me.

Louis' POV

I liked walking like this, Samantha's hand in mine. Her touch causing goosebumps to appear on my arm, luckily I wore a jacket. It would have been a little awkward if she noticed the effect she had on me.
As we got closer to the club I could hear loud voices and see flashes. Camera flashes. Someone must have said something about us being here. I looked down at Sam, she noticed too. I motioned for us to turn around and go in the backdoor, she nodded, biting her lip nervously. But as we were about to turn it was already too late.
'Look, it's Tomlinson!' A man shouted. The paparazzi had spotted us. I could hear Sam drew a shaky breath as about fifty grownups came running towards us with huge cameras and lots sound equipment.
'You'll be okay, just keep walking.' I whispered. She looked at me with big brown eyes and nodded. We continued walking, ignoring the flashing camera's and curious questions.
'Louis, are the two of you together.'
'Samantha, what about Brian?'
How did they even know about Brian? Samantha looked a little taken aback as she realized how much they knew about her.
'No, Louis and I are just friends.' She said, a little confused and forgetting she was supposed to ignore them. I squeezed her hand again and started walking a little faster.
Just friends.
Two words, but dang, they sure as hell hurt.
We managed to get inside without having to answer any more questions. I was relieved. If they had asked the wrong question I might have started crying then and there. That would have been so awkward. I felt like crap. Just friends. Well then, it's official. She doesn't love you. I had always feared it might be like this. That we would get stuck with 'just friends'. Somehow I had always managed to convince myself she loved me back. Wishful thinking. But to have it denied like that, right there in front of me hurt. It hurt a lot.
Get over yourself!
'Louis? Are you okay?' Samantha asked. I looked down and my blue eyes met her beautiful brown ones. She looked concerned.
I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOV... 'I'm fine.' I muttered. 'Go find your boyfriend before he gets too worried and calls the cops. I don't know about you, but I don't feel like spending tonight in a prison cell.'
She raised one eyebrow, not amused by my attempt of laughing my way out of this and shook her head. Gently she wrapped her arms around me and gave me a hug. It lasted longer than our usual hugs, but I wasn't going to complain. I could feel a tear rolling down my cheek and as Samantha looked up I saw the hurt in my eyes mirrored in hers.
'Don't worry, Lou-Lou.' She whispered tenderly as she raised her thumb, brushing away the tear that was now making its way to my chin. 'It'll be alright. I'm here for you, okay?'
I closed my eyes and pulled her even closer before pulling away.
'I'll be okay.' I told her after taking a deep breath. 'Now go find Brian.'
Samantha studied my face for a couple of seconds, she then sighed. 'You want me to leave.' It wasn't a question. More like a statement. I just really needed some time to myself and she understood.
I gave her a nod and mumbled 'I'm sorry.'
'Don't be.' She replied and stood on the tip of her toes to kiss my cheek. 'I love you.' She whispered as she walked away.
'Love you too...' More than you'll ever know.
My cheeks were hot and tingly on the spot where her lips had been. Cursing myself for feeling like this I made my way over to the bar. I knew I should be using this alone time to think, but I wasn't ready to deal with more pain. Yes, she had told me she loved me, but not in the way I wanted her to. She loved me like a brother, like a friend. She was not in love with me. Though I knew I meant a lot to her, it was nothing compared to what she meant to me. She was my world, my everything.
I hated being away from her, I hated seeing her unhappy, I hated seeing her with Brian, I hated how she could make me feel, I hated how she didn't see me as more than a friend, I hated how much I loved her and how I could never find the courage to tell her, but most of all, I hated knowing that deep, deep down, she loved me too. She just didn't seem to realize it.
But I wasn't going to think of that tonight. Tonight I was getting wasted. Really wasted.

Samantha's POV

I pushed past the drunk and dancing people on the dancefloor. The smell of alcohol was only getting stronger as I was getting closer to the bar. I had never understood why people enjoyed drinking. In the end you'll end up in the wrong bed with a huge hangover and only a vague memory of the night before. No, I am not speaking from experience. I'd gotten pretty drunk before, but Louis and Liam had been there to help me and stop me from doing things I would come to regret. I couldn't say the same thing about the other boys though.
After a wild night the boys would call Louis and ask him to come and pick them up and since I spent most of my time with him, I got to hear a lot of the stories. Usually it was pretty amusing, but if the press caught on, things would get pretty serious pretty quick. They hadn't done anything like that for a long time. I guess they realized the girls deserved more than a one night stand, they deserved more than a one night stand. Though the guys still had fun and drank some drinks, they kept things respectful. I was so proud of them. They hadn't let the fame get to their heads, they were still the same guys they had been when I first met them. Maybe even a little better.
I sat down at the bar and let out a small sigh. Brian was nowhere to be seen. I had been searching for him for more than an hour. This was not how I had imagined this date to be, sitting at a bar on my own. I looked to my left, a guy who looked like he was about 25 was checking me out. Great, just perfect. And I thought my night couldn't get any worse. I sighed again as I ordered a soda and left the bar. I really wasn't in the mood for some stranger to come flirt with me. I was tired, my feet were killing me and I was worried about Louis and Brian.
I made my way over to the exit, too deep in thought to notice someone walking towards me.
'Ouch.' I muttered as my head collided with someone's chest. Rubbing my head I looked up to see who I had bumped into, only to see a very familiar face.
'Sam-Sam!' Louis cried out as he recognized me. I grimaced as I could smell the alcohol in his breath. 'Louis, you have been drinking, haven't you?' I asked sternly, even though I already knew the answer. Louis nodded sheepishly and I let out a huff, trying to contain my stern manner. I probably didn't look too intimidating given the fact that I'm more than a head shorter than him, but right now I needed to be stern. Louis could get himself into the weirdest situations when drunk. I shook my head and grabbed his arm, pulling him towards the exit.
'Come on, Lou. Let's get you home.' Louis shrugged and followed. He had some trouble walking in a straight line, was a little louder and clumsier than usual, but other than that he wasn't a bad drunk. Not that he was like this very often. Usually he wouldn't drink too much, keeping Liam and myself company. I figured he must have been pretty upset. Honestly, it scared me a little. Louis didn't cry, he never did. If this was about this girl he had told me about I wasn't sure if I approved of her. Obviously she had hurt him in some way. Who would want to hurt Louis? He was the sweetest and most caring person I had ever known. He had stuck up for me when the fans had been hurtful, been there for me when I had had a fight with my parents and comforted me whenever I got hurt. He was my rock, my best friend, I trusted him with my life. He deserved the best.
That girl must have been pretty special, it looked like she pretty much owned his heart.
Whilst thinking this I felt a little tickling in the bottom of my stomach. As I couldn't explain to myself where the feeling came from I continued walking and continued thinking about Louis. It wasn't until we had finally gotten out of the club and away from the photographers and journalists that I realized what I felt. Jealousy.
'You alright Sam-Sam?' Louis asked loudly, interrupting my unfamiliar thoughts. We had been walking for quite a while and I had been too busy thinking to talk.
'yeah, I'm fine.' I muttered, 'just thinking.'
Louis nodded, content with my explanation.
Giggling at his foolish expression I took his hand and pulled him a little faster, hoping he'd take the hint that he was walking really slowly. His apartment was a 20 minute walk from the club and if we kept up this tempo we wouldn't get home until the next morning.
Harry had driven the guys while I drove with Brian, but right now Brian was drunk somewhere in the club, Harry, Zayn, Liam and Naill were also in the club, probably dancing, singing and having a good time. I didn't want to cut their night short, so Louis and I walked.
'Not so fast Sam-Sam.' Louis complained, 'I want to spend time with you.'
'You are spending time with me, silly.'
Louis slowed down, he was stronger than me, even when drunk and had a hold of my hand, forcing me to slow down as well.
'Not like this.' He said as he stopped walking.
'Well what do you want then?' I sighed, rolling my eyes and pulling his arm with all my might, trying to get him to move.
'This.' He whispered, pulling me in and placing his lips on mine.