You've got to show them what it means to be alive (Chapter 9)

Jack P.O.V.

I blacked out.

I woke up to a pitch black sky and throbbing pain everywhere in my body. I sat up from laying on the ground as i got headrush. No one was around. What time is it? Wheres Alex? So many questions ran through my head as i was trying to comprehend what just happened. Thats when it came flooding back to me. 

"Alex! Please! I'm sorry!" I pleaded for help as he just continued to walk away. I knew this was going to happen. Fuck him. FUCK HIM. " He's not coming back for you. You're useless you know that right?" Zack said as he kneed me in the stomach. I tried to catch my breath before Rian punched me so hard I slammed right into the wall and Zack pulled my hair and bashed my head into the cold bricks. I was laying on the cold ground as a crowd of people decided to join in on the fun that was beating me up. I got kicked in my face, balls, legs, stomach, everywhere. Before Zack pulled out a knife. Thats when the rest gets blurry.

I looked down and saw blood in a pool all around me. I got up and limped home. Since the walk from my school is about 20 minutes, i didnt care. I just wanted to get home. I pulled out my key from my bag and found lights on. 'Jack Bassam? Is that you?" I heard an old voice question. What the fuck?  "Who's here?" I asked startled and breathless. " It's your grandmother." I heard as a figure appear at the doorway. " Jack?! Are you okay? What's happened?!" My grandmother asked. As i fell to the ground as the world turned black again. I woke up to see my band posters above me and an icepack on my forehead. I looked down to see bandages and stitches. A knock was at my door as i whispered breathlessly again. " Come in...." It was getting harder to talk because of all the punches and kicks. My mothers mom walked in. "Jack, im so sorry. Who did this to you?" She asked sadly. "Where have you been? It's been years. You left like the rest." I asked tears blurring my image of her. " I'm sorry Jack, it was all too much. Losing my daughter and not being able to see her, I couldnt see you because you lived here. I could not see that horrible man. Your father." She explained herself. "You weren't here for me when i needed you. I NEEDED YOU. No one was here for me. I was alone." I said back, my voice cracking. " I know baby, im sorry. Theres a reason im here. But I'll explain it later. You need to rest. I'm so sorry for this happening." She said before patting me as i hissed from her touch because the pain. She mumbled a "Sorry dear" As she got up and walked out the door. I layed back, I reached over to grab my phone to see i have multiple texts and calls. From an unkown number. I called it when i heard an answer "Jack?" I heard sniffling, i can't recognize the voice. Maybe its the sniffling. "Who- who is this?" I stuttered. "It's Alex" I was stunned as i heared him asking "Jack? Hello? Are you there? Are you okay?" I didn't trust my voice enough to answer him. I just pressed the end button on my phone and threw it across my room before instantly regretting it due to the throbbing pain. I wanted to cry, but it hurt so much. I dozed off to sleep. I woke up and looked out the window at the Baltimore sun. I sat up slowly and attempted to walk out of my room. Limping and taking many breaks i made it downstairs. My grandma was still here. Still hard to believe she was actually around. "Gran?" I asked "Oh dear. You're awake! and walking!" She said before clapping her old hands and walking over to me resting her hands on my arms. I flinched and moved away from her as she frowned. "Oh im sorry. It's progress though." She assured me. "I've come here to tell you that you have to live with me for a while. I will still pay the bills for this house so you can eventually come back. But for now, you have to come with me." She said. "No, im not leaving this house. What about school?" I asked. "Oh hun, dont worry, ive called in to tell them you'll be absent for a little while. But youll be back in a few weeks. They understood very well!" She exclaimed. "Now go pack your bag. You'll be back after Christmas. It's October 28th. So not a while! Go dear." She said. I walked back stairs to my room. Sat on the bed and looked around. Wow, i guess im actually leaving.