Chapter 17 - Lonely

Mulai dari awal

"Hold on." Nick heard muffled voices. "She said to go have fun."

"Alright, but just for the day."

Maybe fresh air and physical exertion was just what he needed.

One morning Saturday in January, Sara was shopping for food when she heard her name being called

One morning Saturday in January, Sara was shopping for food when she heard her name being called. She turned to see Bridget. Chasing after her was a woman pushing Jack in a shopping cart.

"Bridget, don't run off," she scolded.

"Sara! I want to see Sara!" Bridget whined.

The woman looked at Sara and smiled. "You're Sara! I'm Julie Burke, Tim's wife. I have my special friends for the day. They're off skiing."

Julie was taller than Sara, but only by an inch. She was beautiful and youthful although she was in her fifties. The older woman was blessed with attributes that Sara had not been, specifically blond hair and curves. Sara knew her lack of curves was the reason men never asked out.

She responded to Mrs. Burke's announcement that the doctor and his wife had left their children in her care. "Lucky you!"

"I've heard only good things about you, Sara."

Bridget said, "See she sounds like Granny!"

"She does." Julie agreed and turned to Sara. "I'm glad to meet you, but we need to be home before nap time. Come on, sweetheart."

Bridget rushed to Sara and hugged her legs before she ran off to follow her aunt. It didn't surprise Sara that Tim's wife was friendly, because he was easygoing himself. Sara had never skied, but she imagined the doctor and his beautiful wife spending the day together. She needed to stop, because if she ever met his wife, she may be too jealous to be polite.

On Monday morning, he said, "I heard you saw Bridget again. My daughter is your biggest fan, aside from Lily."

"It's mutual. Did you have a nice day?"

"We did. It was just what the doctor ordered. Do you ski?"

"No, not much skiing in Africa." She joked.

"What about when you were a kid?"

"Not in London either."

She could have skied in high school or college, but she never had an interest or the opportunity. She didn't remember any of her friends running off for ski weekends. After an awkward pause in which he was studying her intently, he turned and walked away. He confused Sara more with each passing day.

 He confused Sara more with each passing day