"I dunno, is it sappy?"

"Shut up, smart ass." I scoffed, and he chuckled.

"If you could have any kind of super power, what would it be?" he pressed on, and I moved my eyes to the sky, searching for a reply.

"I'd probably choose to read people's minds." I answered finally and he arched an eyebrow.

"Really? I always thought some things are better off not knowing." He said and I shrugged.

"Sure, but if it was my super power I'd be able to turn it off and on. Sometimes it's excruciating not knowing what someone is really thinking." I elaborated, leaning back and letting my hair fall back, my face bathing in the sunlight.

Liam was quiet for a while, and I wondered what he was thinking right then. He was just such a mystery. It was exciting but frustrating trying to figure him out. Did he really find me irritating or not?

However, neither of us really had to say anything since Mr. Driskell called all of us inside. With a lethargic sigh I got to my feet and Liam and I walked into the school with the rest of the class. Mr. Driskell told us to set our bugs in a pile on the classroom counter, and we'd do something with them the following day.

The bell rang and I gathered my things. When I looked up I saw that Liam was already out the door and I grimaced to myself as I walked to the front of the class, waving goodbye to Mr. Driskell as I exited the room. I walked through the halls to my locker where I saw Cassie waiting. She smiled enthusiastically at me. "So, I have no homework so far." She said happily and I chuckled.

"Awesome, me either." I said opening my locker. I started to put my things away but suddenly Cassie clutched my arm.

"Oh, my god." She said and I perked up, following her gaze until my eyes fell onto Liam, walking out of the locker area. "Who was that beautiful creature?" She awed and I laughed.

"That was Liam." I said and her jaw dropped.

"That was Liam? Geeze can you say smokin'?" she giggled and I laughed until my ribs ached.

"Well he spent the whole class period in Field Bio grilling me with questions." I scoffed after I calmed down. I shut my locker and one of Cassie's eyebrows rose and disappeared behind her purple bangs.

"I thought you said he wasn't talkative?" she asked and I nodded my head.

"He wasn't until today at lunch. I asked him like two questions and he let his guard down for like a second, but then got kind of defensive and demanded compensation." I rolled my eyes and she chuckled.

"So he asked you a billion questions in return." She whistled lowly, and together we walked out of the locker area and set off for our next class.

"Yeah well now he knows a little about me. And whether he's interesting or not in a friendship, I've given him something to think about." I said fondly and she smiled.

"Well good luck with him in government." She bided as she parted from my side. I waved my hand goodbye to her as she disappeared into the crowd of the hallway she had just entered.

I made my way to my government class, pulling the door open and following Jake McCubbin into the room. Someone called out to him and he stopped abruptly, causing me to walk right into him. My books spilled from my arms and with a groan I bent down to pick them up. However as I did I heard Jake scoff. "Walk much?" he sneered down at me.

Jake was a football player, tall, handsome, and snooty, the perfect example of the kind of person I wholly can't stand. I narrowed my eyes at him, standing up with my things held against my chest. "I could ask you the same question." I glared and he snickered mockingly at me.

"Good one, Aubrey." He said as I started to walk away. As I did so I saw Liam standing up in his chair, looking back and forth between Jake and I, his fists clenched. I shook my head as I took a seat beside him, rolling my eyes.

Slowly Liam sank back into his seat, glancing at me. "What an asshole." He cursed and I looked over at him.

"Yeah there are a lot of those here." I sighed, arranging my text book and note book so that they were even on my desk.

"You do that a lot." He murmured mildly and I arched an eyebrow.

"What?" I asked and he gestured to my government supplies.

"Mess with your stuff so that it's even." He said and I furrowed my brow.

"Huh... habit I guess." I shrugged and he smirked.

"Do you have OCD?" he teased and I glared playfully at him.

"No." I snapped and he looked devilishly at my things. Holding my stare he reached forward, nudging my note book so that it fell crooked beside my text book. My eyes fell onto the both of them, and I felt my skin crawl with irritation. I was just about to reach forward and fix it but I realized Liam was smirking at me, waiting for me to do just that.

"So you messed up my stuff, big deal." I waved off, and he just continued to snicker.

The bell rang and the both of us turned in our seats, giving our attention to our teacher Mr. Gene, a tall balding man who wore huge glasses on the tip of his nose. Out of the corner of my eye, I eyeballed the askew note book, and when my eye actually twitched, I caved.

As quick as I could I reached forward and evened the two items out, although I did not go unnoticed. I glanced over at Liam who smiled an actual smile that wasn't mocking in any way, chuckling lightly to himself. I felt my cheeks grow rosy and I looked away, my hands falling into my lap in defeat. However I couldn't help but glance back at Liam, my heart giving a tiny leap as I observed his smile, one that touched his bright blue eyes and lit them up even more.