Day Five - World Population Unknown

Start from the beginning

Peeling the bandage the rest of the way, I was pleased to see the skin was still joined in a jagged puckered crescent.  The wound looked angry and swollen with thick deep blue veins radiating from the bite.  They were so dark that they almost looked black.  The veins pulsed underneath the skin like they were pumping sludge, giving me an indication that his blood was clotting at an alarming rate and I knew it wouldn't be long until one broke off and spread to his brain or his heart.  It may sound harsh, but I hope it does.  At least then he may be spared the transition.  We had no idea what laid ahead but I didn't think for one second that it was going to be painless.

Heat radiated from his skin and before I could think about what I was doing, I placed my icy hands on either side of the bite on his neck.  Imagining the skin sizzling as I touched it, amusing myself.  Blake released a sigh of pleasure, reminding me of my dream and making me blush- Well, if I could blush that is.

After a few minutes the silence became awkward, so much so that Blake felt the need to break it!  But in actuality made it all the more awkward.

"So, erm... Have your hands always been this cold or is it just because you're dead?"

I saw the instant look of regret that crossed his face the second he asked the question.  His eyes tightening and his head shaking as he replayed the question in his head.  Chastising himself.

A laugh burst free from me.  I couldn't help it.  The look on his face made him look like an awkward teenage boy hitting puberty.  I just knew the words "I can't believe I just said that!" were playing on a loop inside his head.

"You don't talk to many people do ya?" I laughed, his lips turning up at the side.

"Is it that obvious?"  The mood was lightening and the tension dispersing.

"Well to answer your question, both."  Blake looked at me quizzically as I continued to cool down his skin with my hands.  "I've always had cold hands, but since I kicked the bucket, they have turned into icebergs that could probably sink the Titanic."

His mood swiftly took a nose dive at my reminder of my death or lack there of.

"So, erm..."  I mimicked, using the same tone as he had.  "Have you always been a dick or is that just a recent development?"

Blake guffawed, breaking the tension once again.  The atmosphere seemed to revolve around his mood.  And with more swings then a professional baseball player, my head was beginning to spin.

"Thank you"  He said when his laughter had died down "For patching me up and for being so nice to me after I had been such a dick to you."  

"It was nothing."  I waved my hand dismissively at him.  I didn't take compliments well, they made me uncomfortable.

"It wasn't nothing, you must have worked on me for hours even though you knew it was-"  His voice trailed off, not being able to say the unspoken word we were both thinking.

Pointless.

We both knew my efforts were pointless, but the difference between him and me was that I had hope.  I wasn't religious, not by a long shot but I knew that even if you get dealt shit hand after shit hand like Blake and I had, the law averages state that eventually your luck would come in and I was hoping that this was going to be our lucky hand.  I refused to believe that the house always won.

"We don't know what will happen next-" He made to speak, but I placed a finger against his lips halting his words so I could finish.  "We have a good idea, but we don't know for sure.  What I did know for sure that is if I had done nothing, you definitely would have died."