I didn't notice the applause from parts of the crowd until someone pulled me off the mat and handed me an ice pack and a bottle of water. There goes another one to the infirmary.

It took several hours until the third round started and after that some more time until I got called out to fight again.

Frank and Eric fought against two of the strongest male initiates, getting their victory without getting hit themselves. So much for being graceful towards the initiates.

Soon it was my turn again and everyone who was left stared in silence, unsure of what to expect. Scanning the people, there were some with shit eating grins decorating their faces, making it clear that they wanted me to fail, but the rest was either just as nervous as I was or not affected at all.

"Four versus Vinnie."

I stepped onto the mat and it didn't even take a blink of an eye when Four decided to attack. Saying that I was nervous would be an understatement. Four was apparently the best one in his year with Eric in second and my brother in third place. The amount of respect I had for him and his skills was infinite yet I wasn't scared, just incredibly nervous.

He could knock someone out with one swift movement if he wanted to yet when we fought, he took his time and rarely went into offensive position. That's when I remembered what Frank told me about him!

He took his time. That's what kind of fighter he was. He takes his time by blocking any attacks like they are nothing and once the opponent loses stamina, he strikes.

I figured that the only way to finish this fight soon was to pretend. I had to pretend to get tired so I made sure to circle him more often and make slower movements.

It didn't even take very long until he made more offensive moves and then I made sure to strike myself.

I blocked his arms when he went for my throat and hit both his ears simultaneously which made him lose orientation and balance. Him trying to recover was the perfect opportunity to kick him in the liver then in the crotch and, when he crouched over, bring my knee to his face which made him fall to the ground.

A couple of hits to his sides and head and he was unconscious in a couple of minutes.

I let myself fall back on the mat where I allowed myself to finally take deep breaths of relief. My knuckles were hurting, in fact, everything was hurting and I felt a painful throb creep into my head. But that didn't stop me from laughing uncontrollably.

Three victories! And I managed to beat Four! The legendary Four!

Somehow I ended up at the side of the hall with my brother and Freyr hugging me as if I was a bag full of gold. Freyr peppered me with kisses once Frank let go but eventually he had to stop because the finals would come to an end soon and Max would announce the final scores.

And then it was time. A screen lit up and showed names of the ones ranked lowest and then showing the better ones. The nervousness lifted off my shoulders more and more when I couldn't find my name and once the screen showed the numbers one to five without any names, anticipation filled everyone in the room.

Then Max revealed the results one by one.

#5 Danny (DB)

#4 Leslie

#3 Hamilton (DB)

My name was still not on display and that's when I thought I would pass out because of all the anticipation. Thankfully, Freyr tightened his grip around my shoulders preventing my knees from buckling and that's when I realized that his name hasn't been on the board yet as well.