Chapter 2: Candies, Questions and Choices

Chapter - 2

Candies, Questions and Choices

The clanging sounds of weapon against weapon echoed throughout the training fields. Heavy blows and ferocious swipes were exchanged. A loud gust of wind soon destroyed a tree to splinters.

Boruto jumped away to create some distance between him and his opponent. He raised a fist to wipe the dripping sweat off his brow. He was heaving heavily. His breath was shallow. His blue eyes were focused clearly on each and every move of his pastel blue haired teammate. He concentrated some chakra at the soles of his feet and launched himself towards his opponent with an impressive speed. His palm was open, ready to strike, poised in the famous Hyuga style of battle.

Mitsuki, however, was no ordinary genin. He slid himself out of his rival's attack range and immediately stretched his arm out to coil around Boruto's torso. His other arm held a kunai in hand, which he swiftly moved to place on Boruto's neck but was startled when he found a cold sharpness against his own throat and a smirking Boruto.

Mitsuki smiled and relaxed his stance as he released Boruto from his serpentine grip. The blonde fell down on the ground on his back with a thud.

"I think that's enough for today."

"Yeah. I'm tired anyway." Boruto croaked out in a hoarse whisper as he picked himself up from the ground lethargically.

A few minutes later, they found themselves moving down the street, in the direction of Boruto's home. Mitsuki stole a quick glance at his teammate's defeated posture and realised that Sarada's decision of not talking to him was actually taking a toll on Boruto's normally boisterous personality.

Mitsuki was more than aware of the reason behind Sarada's judgement. It was not only about Boruto cheating. Rather, it was about him breaking the trust they shared. Mitsuki might be a bit socially stunted but even he couldn't ignore that there was something shared by both of his teammates, something special which could be easily lost between their arguments, but would resurface if either one was in some sort of trouble.

"Say...Mitsuki." His companion's voice brought him out of his thoughts.

"What is it?" Mitsuki gave a sideways glance to Boruto, noting that his eyes were hidden behind his bangs.

"Who was that big guy...with Renga?"

"Oh? The one who's very interested in Sarada? And almost attacked you?"

"Yeah...?"

"I think he is Renga-kun's cousin. He is a year older than him and is a resident of Suna. He is here because Suna has provided aid to Konoha, you know, for the reconstruction of the village. Although, I've seen him stalking Sarada a few times."

"What?!"

"He is a persistent one, I guess."

Mitsuki almost laughed at the ticked off expression that appeared on Boruto's face.

You are so naïve, Boruto.

Suddenly, he remembered something.

Boruto peered at Mitsuki with curious blue eyes as the latter fished something out from beneath his sleeves and was surprised when he was handed over a fist full of candies.

"What...?"

"Sarada's reward for helping that kid earlier. She asked me to give them to you."

Boruto's eyes widened. It did not escape his notice that most of the candies were lemon and blueberry flavoured.