Chapter 35

BEFORE READING: 

i suggest listening to sad songs when reading this chapter, it triggers a few modern day problems within teenagers between the ages of 13-19 so i suggest to really feel what the characters are feeling, to listen to these songs or any similar: 

photograph - ed sheeran

amnesia -5sos

fall for you - secondhand serenade

never say never - the fray

☁☁☁☁☁

fluster

/ˈfləstər/

verb

-make (someone) agitated or confused

I was more disturbed, put on the edge, than flustered. The sight of my boyfriend struggling to breathe made me uneasy.

I ran over to Jayce’s limp body that was curled up on the sandy; more like dirt filled, ground. Placing his head in my lap, I examined every centimeter of his face and body.

The blood was fresh from his split lip. His left eye was almost shut from how swollen and engorged it was. A shade of purple replacing his regular tan skin color was scattered all over his face, and I’m guessing most of his body. Two lines of blood dripped down from his forehead. There were cuts on his eyebrows and his nose matched the color of his swollen eyes. It looked like he was just ran over by a train.

Jayce coughed, but only hurting himself by moving his chest. I’ve never seen him look so broken.

“Alex,” Colton’s voice made me quiver.

I gazed at his face for the first time since I got here, and I expected to see the expression of some cold-hearted bastard with a sickening smirk on his face, but I was so wrong.

Lying in my lap was a physically broken person, but standing in front of me, with blood on his hands, was a mentally broken person. I watched his lips quiver at the sight of me. The redness of his eyes was unavoidable and very noticeable. Every intake of air he took seemed like a desperate plea of understanding. He wanted me to understand why he did what he was doing.

I looked at him with fear cascading itself all over my facial expression, “It was you? It – It was you, wasn’t it? You were the one beating him up all this time, it was you!”

Even though tears streamed down Colton’s face, his fists were still clenched with rage and his teeth were gritted in anger. “Why’d you do it? Why were you doing this to him?!” I yelled in resentment.

He scowled down at her, and spoke as if it were difficult for him to get out any words out, “This is my therapy Alexandria. This is the way I relieve my anger. This takes my pain away. It makes me feel better, and I don’t regret it at all.” i

By beating an innocent person until he struggles for his breath?! That’s how you take out your anger?!” I exclaimed in fury.

How could he do this? How could a sweet, kind, and caring boy do this to another human being?

He was about to retaliate, when Jayce moved in my lap. He wanted to get up but I refused, “No, you can’t stand. You need to sit.”

He slightly nodded, wincing in pain. While on the floor, he leaned against the half circular jungle gym, letting his back rest against the side of it. I crouched down next to him, and used the sleeve of my hoodie to wipe the fresh blood away from his wounds.