Chapter 26

Jayce

“So Adams, rumor has it that you’re taking out Simmons’ sister tonight, is it true?” Chris, one of our wide receivers, asked.

I couldn’t help but eavesdrop on their conversation, since they were practically right across from me changing out of their practice clothes.

“Uh yeah, that is indeed correct,” My best friend replied.

Much to my dismay.

A chorus of laughter rang throughout the room, “Nice man! No one could ever land that chick, how’d you do it?”

I glanced their way, locking eyes with Parker, but quickly looking away, “I uh, just asked her.”

But apparently this wasn’t a good enough answer for Chris and the rest of the guys with him, “Well, I-I mean we sort of had this friendship going on for awhile, and I just decided to ask her.”

“And Cameron’s okay with it?” Roger, our linebacker questioned.

“Surprisingly, yes he is,” He said, tossing his deodorant into his locker, after using it.

Chris grinned widely, “Damn dude, you’re pretty lucky, that girl is so prude, I’m shocked that she said yes to you.”

His statement alone caused my fists to ball up, trying to remain calm I took a towel from my bag and wiped my face with it, getting rid of any dirt or sweat lingering there from practice.

“That girl has a name guys,” Parker retaliated.

Roger simply laughed at this, “So where you taking her tonight Adams? Movie theatre, so she can give you a special gift?”

“What about a restaurant? So you can take her back to your place for some dessert, if you know what I mean?” Chris chimed in with a smug smirk.

The rest of the guys laughed along, with no intention of saying anything about his vulgar comment.

I huffed, and slammed my locker shut, letting the sound echo throughout the room, having everyone’s attention on me, “Don’t talk about her like that.”

He stared at me in disbelief, “Problem?”

Parker shook his head vigorously; mouthing the word, “Stop.”

I brushed him off, “Actually yeah, there is a problem. Don’t talk about Alex like that, ok? Just because a girl hasn’t had sex yet doesn’t automatically make her a prude. And Alexandria definitely isn’t one, she just doesn’t want to be like any other slut in this school.” 

So I could stand up for Alex when she’s not around, but not when she’s actually standing in front of me?

I had the attention of at least half of the football team, the other half being seniors who were either in the shower or had already left campus, which meant, thank God, that Cameron wasn’t in here to witness me standing up for his sister. Yes, it was a good thing that I defended Alex, but he’s still not happy with me after last time, so since then, I’ve been avoiding him to prevent any fights or arguments from happening. Although on the football field, he is somewhat civil towards me – well maybe that’s because he just wants our team to win games, but hey I’ll take it.

“Since when did you start defending your ‘stalker’? Chris questioned mockingly. Ok, now he was really pushing my buttons.

I gave him the death stare, “She’s not some overly obsessed stalker, that was just some rude remark made by some dumbass that doesn’t know when to keep his mouth shut.”