Chapter 33

“Good morning,” I sang, as I greeted my brother and my parents in the dining room.

They all looked at me as if I had grown a second head, even my father who looked up from his paper work to wonder why I was in such a good mood. Ever since Jayce and I’s first date, I’ve been on cloud nine.

“What’s up with you?” Cameron asked, before taking a bite out of his buttered toast.

Pouring myself a cup of orange juice, I smiled down at the glass, “I’m just really happy right now.”

“I wonder why,” My mother said slyly, since she obviously knew why I was so love struck. Ever since her and I had that talk in my room, we sort of grown closer. We’d exchange a few words to each other here and there, and I could tell that our relationship was developing even more. But with my father – not so much.

“Let me guess, does your sudden mood change have anything to do with Jayce?” My brother is a smart man.

I didn’t have to answer since the blush covering my cheeks did it for me.

“Wait, wait, wait. You’re involved with a boy?” My father’s astonished voice said.

We all looked at him with question marks on our face, wondering why he chose to engage in this conversation.

I simply nodded, which made him scowl in disgust, “Just don’t make me a grandpa at this age and I’m fine with it.”

Of course that would be all he cared about.

A honk from outside prevented me from responding to my father.

“My ride’s here, I’ll see you guys later!” Bidding my goodbyes to my family, I grabbed my bag and headed out the door shortly after.

I shut the door behind me and scurried over to Jayce’s car. He opened the car door for me from the inside, and I slid in whilst greeting him, “Hey.”

“Hi girlfriend,” He grinned, then cringed afterwards.

“I am here too you know,” Parker’s voice sounded from the back seat.

Surprised, I turned around and flashed him a grin, “Hey, I felt like I haven’t seen you in forever.”

He returned the smile and simply shrugged, “Well I’ve been busy with SAT prep and studying for all the final exams, which is what you two should be doing instead of sucking face all the time.”

I rolled my eyes at him, “So where have you been during school? I literally never see you in any of our classes together.”

“I got special permission from the principal to study half the day for SAT’s. Sorry I didn’t tell you guys before.”

“It’s fine, but what caused you to come and hitch a ride with us to school?” I asked.

This time Jayce answered, “I drove to his house, and practically dragged him out of the house. I needed some time with my best friend, so desperate times call for desperate measures.”

Putting his key in the ignition, he started the engine and drove off onto the highway.

Parker and I carried out a conversation throughout the car ride. I informed him about the fight between Miles and Colton, which he said he knew about from a few conspiracy stories around school. We continued to make small talk, when I noticed something off about Jayce.

While Jayce was driving, I tried to get a good look of his face, but every time I’d try, he’d make an excuse to turn away from me, or do anything to hide his face.