Reunion

Seeing the Unseen Chapter Eight:

"Reunion"

"What are you wearing?"

"Clothes?" I asked, cocking my head to the side. "Is there a problem, Papa?"

He walked over to me, grabbing my necklace before further questioning me. "Who gave this to you?"

I stiffened. "A friend. A friend gave it to me as a gift."

"What friend?" His brown eyes focused on the pendant. "This symbol, what does it mean?"

I stepped back, my gaze narrowing at my father. "What the hell is your problem? You don't know all of my friends. Stop being so weird. It was a gift. I like it. I've been wearing it for a while now. The fact that you are just now noticing it is a little off putting."

The male didn't tear his orbs away from the pendant until I hid it in my shirt. "I'm going on a walk, I'll see you when I get back."

He bit his lip, a look of seemingly unneeded worry playing upon his tired features. "Stay safe, Beatrice."

My hand gripped the handle, my brow furrowing. "Yeah. Of course."

I opened the door, greeted by the unwelcome feeling of the cold air. It was getting close to winter and although I liked the cold, I didn't like being outside when it was frigid out. Taking the still bearable temperature for granted, I stepped out onto the asphalt, my black combat boots crunching in the crispy dead autumn leaves scattering the earth. Childishly, I hopped, satisfied by the sounds that the fallen leaves were creating as I continued, taking heavier steps than necessary, to the park that I had practically lived at as a young child.

"I miss you." I looked up into the sky for a woman who I knew wasn't there, a tear sliding down my face, yet I persisted, too stubborn and desperate to listen to my mind's reason. "Mom, are you out there? Mom... Mom... Mo-"

I let out a gasp as the wind was knocked out of me, quickly looking up to see a pitch black Negative with bleeding eyes and purple, hooked claws. It was humanoid, at over seven feet tall, it was the most mortifying thing that I had ever seen.

"Be...a...trice," its jaw opened and closed as its needles protruded from its mouth, a vile green liquid dripping and sizzling as it hit the ground, the concrete being eaten away by the substance.

I can't move.

I struggled, trying to force my body to cooperate, though it was futile. The Negative had cast some sort of spell on me and I fell victim into the fiend's trap.

Unable to run, unable to fight, and unable to hide, I called out helplessly for aid, for someone who wasn't supposed to arrive into town until two days later.

"Mason!" I screamed, my voice growing hoarse from the lack of hydration. "Mason!"

I closed my eyes, preparing myself for my fate.

The Negative bounded closer, the look in its eyes evil and unforgiving. "Be...a...trice... Be...a...trice... Be...a...trice... Be...a..."

My eyes shot open when I heard a thud, the Negative's head rolling over to me, about ten centimeters away.

"Serves you right, bitch," I spat, the feeling slowly returning to my limbs.

"Language, Beatrice."

I looked up to see a masked figure with dark - almost black hair, the clothes that they were wearing consisting of blacks and grays. "Who... Who are you?"