The Eccentric One

Seeing the Unseen Chapter Seven:

"The Eccentric One"

Fear.

I ran as fast as my legs could take me, my heart racing as I clutched my broken pair of spectacles in my left hand. Mason wasn't there to help. He had left about three days prior to conclude his training at the hardest level he could. Although I supported him, I kind of wished he was there at that moment.

Jumping over a raised tree root, I chuckled to myself.

How lame it would have been if I tripped again like some damsel in distress.

The pendent on my necklace grew colder the closer the Negative got to me. It was monstrous, the biggest I had ever seen. As I came more in terms with the fact that I couldn't simply outrun something so powerful, I stopped dead in my tracks, facing the beast, only to feel something burned on the back of my neck before I was all the way facing it. Cursing, I bit my lip to muffle my grunts of pain as the Negative was pushed back by a forcefield.

My defense had gotten better since Mason had left as I wanted to be able to take care of myself more. The necklace he gave me was amplifying my power, but I didn't know exactly know how.

The continuous opposition that I was receiving from the Negative was tiring, so I thought hard on what to do before I died in a way that I really didn't want to. Subconsciously, my fingers found their way to the golden pendant, a precious knife suddenly materializing in my hand. I gasped at the sight and feeling, the weapon cold to the touch.

The Negative backed up slightly at the sight of the weapon, causing me to feel more confident, taking a step towards it, my resolve strengthening with each and every step. My body began to move on its own and I leapt, stabbing the Negative in the kneecap, black blood fizzing and gurgling as it hit me and the ground around it. As it lost its balance, I barraged it with attacks, not stopping once until it glowed white and disappeared.

I... I did it.

I looked at the small knife cocking my head to the side.

How do I put it back?

My heart started to beat faster and I shook my head.

That's crazy. No. That can't be it.

I twirled the blade in my hand before gripping it, trying to cut my finger, but it didn't break the skin. In fact, it went through my finger.

I'm crazy.

Closing my eyes, I plunged the blade into my chest, it sinking through me until I felt the pendent resting on my chest again. Silently "hoorah-ing", I adjusted my denim jacket and drew the hood over my head, skipping to my house with a feeling of satisfaction lifting me with every step. I didn't know exactly how I did what I did, but I had already come to find that questions got me nowhere when it came to things concerning the spectral plain. It bugged me at first, but Mason told me that the laws didn't make complete sense to him either, so I put it behind me. If a reaper, a member of the spectral plain, couldn't fully wrap their head around the way everything worked, then there was absolutely no way that I could ever hope to myself.

"Dad!" I called as I kicked my combat boots off by the door. "I'm home... and I broke my glasses!"

"You what?" My dad came sauntering down until his brown eyes widened at the sight of my glasses that were broken in two, the right lense cracked beyond repair.

"Haha..." I scratched my head awkwardly. "We still have the warranty... right?"

My papa sighed, running his fingers through his brown locks. "Yes. A couple more days and we wouldn't. Let's go. Go get your back-ups in the meantime. Oh, and have Tony come too. We can get burgers on the way back home."