Chapter Forty Six - A Different Date

Zhan Zheng Xi tried to walk sedately as he approached Jian Yi's building he had run/walked/sprinted the whole way, he'd even made an effort to look nice putting some product through his hair, spritzing himself with cologne and was wearing his best jeans and a grey T-shirt. Jian Yi had texted him and invited him over. Zhan Zheng Xi knew at Jian Yi's house they would probably just watch TV or read manwha in Jian Yi's room, and if Mrs Yi was not there, maybe they could make out but anything further was impossible due to the likelihood of Yi's mom bursting in, in her usual unpredictable manner.

When he finally reached the building intercom he ran a nervous hand over his hair and pressed the button. Jian Yi's voice blared through the speaker.

"Xixi! I'm coming!" Jian Yi's voice sounded loud and excited.

The door buzzed, his heart was pounding nervously as usual whenever they met now it seemed like his heart wanted to leap out of his chest in search of Jian Yi's, something like that video on You Tube. He wiped sweat from his face, maybe running had been a bad idea after all, he felt all hot under the collar.

The door opened and a nervous looking Yi appeared, his face was flushed and his hair was a bit messy like he'd been running his hands through it and he was wearing a dirty blue apron over a white vest and black shorts. His feet were bare. Zheng Xi's eyebrows shot up, he'd never seen Yi in an apron before, as a look it was.......different.

"Xixi come in, come in." Jian Yi opened the door wide so Xi could get past him. Xi slipped off his shoes and walked into Yi's spacious living room. He could instantly smell food and his stomach growled.

"Is Mrs Yi home? Are you having dinner, shall I come back later?" Xi was confused Jian Yi had told him 7.30pm right? He whipped his phone out to quickly check his message. Yes, 7.30.

"No, no, well she might come at some point, but it was just us for dinner. I hope you're hungry!" Jian Yi grinned widely grabbed his hand and ushered him into the kitchen. The counter tops were completely covered with dishes, pans, dirty spoons, plates, dirty bowls, fresh vegetables, decimated ingredients and on the spattered burner a huge pot of boiling water roiled and a smaller pot steamed with what looked like soup.

"Wow you really need to do your dishes, if your mom has been gone for days and you don't clean up after yourself she's going to hit you up the side of the head with that big wooden spoon if you leave it like this, what a shitheap." Zhan Xi whistled at the mess, shaking his head at Jian Yi's slovenliness.

"No! I mean I did make the mess but it was tonight, I'm cooking us dinner!" Jian Yi put his hands on his hips and his chin rose proudly. Jian Yi was cooking?! Well fucking bird balls there went his digestive system, one order of food poisoning coming up!

"You.....are......cooking?" Zhan Xi looked at his boyfriend, terror apparent in his eyes.

"Oi! Idiot Zhan Zheng Xi I happen to be making your favourite foods tonight, so just sit there and have some faith." Jian Yi pointed to the table which was set for two people, side dishes were already in the middle of the table, messy julienned cucumber and radishes, a bowl of bean sprouts, pickles and a platter of dumplings. Reluctantly he sat at the table and watched Yi's long lanky back twist and move as he got two big bowls and ladled the soup into each one. His eyes were drawn where the bow was knotted at his lean hips, hmm. He was distracted when Yi turned around and brought the soup to the table.

Looking down at the meat broth (it's smelled like mutton) put in front of him, he tentatively sniffed loudly. Jian Yi, who was sitting at the table now (not across from him like normally did but sitting next to him their chairs close) scowled at his obvious reluctance.

"Will you please stop being such a shit, just get your dumplings and taste it!" Jian Yi was giving him the puppy dog eyes and he was helpless against them. Picking up his spoon and chop sticks he grabbed two dumplings and dropped them into his soup, poking them. The dumplings looked fine (they were probably shop bought ones knowing Jian Yi) Xi dipped his spoon in and fished for a dumpling. Taking a deep breath he lifted the spoon to his mouth and prayed he would earn serious boyfriend points for this, he put the spoon in his mouth.