Lady Avina

Emmy immediately went to the soldiers training yard and quickly found Sir Gengrick and took him to the side and told him of the letter she received.  

“Do you think it’s a real threat against you?”  Gengrick asked. “If you’re afraid, I can have guards watch over you until the Master comes back.”  

Emmy shook her head no.

“No need for guards.”  Emmy told him. “I’ll stay in the castle.  Should they come for me, let them come. They won’t be so bold to come straight to the castle. Just make sure the citizens of Ceco do not get hurt or get involved in anyway”  

“But your safety--”  Gengrick began to say, but was cut off by Emmy.  

“I will not let the people of Ceco suffer because of me.”  Emmy told him. “Not with all the work Seoras does for them.  I cannot undo his hard work and let them suffer the slightest.”  

Gengrick opened his mouth again to try to argue with her, but Emmy spoke up first, silencing him.  

“Do not think I am a weak woman who does not know what is going on.  I have heard the rumors that are said about me. Just because I do not speak about it, does not mean I am ignornant to them.”  Emmy said. “I know why the citizens are so afraid of me. Why my actions of kindness are second guessed and and questioned. Why they keep their distance.  Why some soldiers here are wary of me. Trust me, I know. But I also know that even with these ridiculous rumors, Seoras still stands by me because that is all they are.  Lies.”

Gengrick looked at Lady Emmy with respect.  She had grown so much since she first entered the castle.  She worked hard at everything she did and treated everyone well.  She was truely someone worthy of being Lady Tomas.

“These past four years, I have been training to help lessen Master Seoras burden.”  Emmy said with determination. “It’ll be my first test to see if all my hard work and Master Seoras’s dedication will bare fruit or not.”  

Gengrick was stuck between a rock and a hard place.  On one end, Lady Emmy, is Lady Tomas of Ceco. It is his job to protect her and ensure her safety.  However, as General of Ceco, it is also his job to protect the people. Should anything happen to Emmy, Master Seoras would not be happy about it.  Should anything happen to the citizens of Ceco, they will get hurt, but the citizens will begin to doubt Master Seoras and a seed of distrust will be planted into their hearts and they will start to believe the rumors about Emmy is true.  

“But--”  Gengrick wanted to argue.  

“If it makes you feel better, have four guards shadow me.  Keep them hidden from peoples eyes. No one is to interfere with who ever is coming to get me. I don’t know if they want to capture me and take me away or if they want to kill me.  Whatever the case may be, if the shadow guards see that I am losing in any way, they can show themselves and try to help me or save me.” Emmy told him. “Besides, if they think they can just come into Ceco and threaten me.  They must learn a valuable lesson that I won’t go anywhere without a fight.”

Gengrick could only nod his head in agreement.  Four guards hid themselves wherever Emmy went. Emmy stayed to the castle yards, training like usual.  However everyone was on high alert. Safety measures were put in place as more guards were stationed around the city and the city walls.  A curfew was installed and everyone complied.

The citizens of Ceco knew something was going to happen, but they dared not ask what it was.  With their Master away, who knew what will happen to them. The soldiers and guards were informed of the threat and took the safety of Ceco seriously.  Even if the target was Lady Emmy, it was their job to protect their people as well as protect their Lady.

One week became two. When nothing happened, a tension began to grow on the soldiers and Sir Gengrick.  Whatever was coming for Lady Emmy, he wished they would come already, then at least that way, they knew who their enemy was.  

His wish came on the third week as Lady Avina rolled up to the city gates with her guards.  The soldiers watching the gate could recognized the crest on the carriage’s door and knew who was inside.  But still made them stop.

“Halt!”  The guard, Owen, shouted.  

The soldiers guarding the gate doors, outside of the city, blocked its way.  

“Who dares stop Lady Aivina’s way!”  The carriage driver shouted.

“It is the city’s policy to ensure the safety of its people.”  Owen said. “We must ensure that it is Lady Aivina inside of the carriage.”  

“You dare look upon My Lady!  You have no right!” The carriage driver argued.  

“Then you shall not pass!”  Owen quickly said. “It is Ceco’s law that we ensure those who wishes to enter the city, must be who they say they are.  If you do not like the laws of Ceco. Then turn back where you come from and do not return until you comply with our rules!”  

The carriage driver opened his mouth to argue before everyone heard a soft and gentle voice speak up.  

“Let them come check.”  Avina said as she lifted up the curtain.  Her eyes scanned the soldiers guarding the door and the city wall quickly before her eyes landed on the guard who stepped closer to inspect them.  

Her guards tensed as Owen stepped forward.  He quickly came to the window and looked inside the carriage.  He knew the faces of Lady Avina and her maid, Kestro. But did not recognize the other maid that sat opposite of Kestro.

“Who is she?”  Owen asked.  

“That is my maid, Inez.”  Avina told him.

“What happened to Evelyn?”  He asked.

“She fell sick.”  Kestro answered. “When has it ever been a soldier’s business to know what happens in my Lady’s household?”

The soldier knew he went too far and could only look over the face of the maid Inez and memorize it.   He stepped back and took a look at the guards and could not recognize four out of the six that were there.  

“New guards too?”  He asked no one in particular.  

“The previous ones failed me.”  Avina said. “I replaced them.”

“Makes sense.”  He said as he went back to where he once stood.  “All seems well.”

“Can we go through  now?” The carriage driver asked with annoyance.  

“Of course.”  Owen told them.  “Once the guards of Lady Avina turn in all their weapons.”