XII. Victims and Conquerers

Depuis le début

She then placed a hand on the small of Kanato's back. "It will be alright, Kanato. A doctor from the demon world will be capable of curing your illness." When she saw her nephew's faint questioning look among the pain, she answered, "I am fully aware that our bodies are different from human ones, hence why a human doctor will not suffice."

Kanato nodded weakly, calming upon her reassurance. The sister then lifted her head, her gaze piercing the purple-haired woman in front of her. "Cordelia, look at me."

Said-woman complied, chin lifted with ignorance and eyes hooded, void of emotion. "Yes, nee-san?" There was an edge to her voice.

The sister rubbed her nephew's back as she glared daggers at her younger sister. "Your son just coughed blood, and you did nothing a mother would have. Nothing. It was as if your son was no better than the dirt on your shoe. Explain, and don't you dare tell me you do not know what is happening to your own flesh and blood."

"...He merely used his voice incorrectly while singing," Cordelia stated curtly. "He was not taught the right techniques after all, and I, for one, am not an expert at that, so I will only end up damaging his voice further if I attempted to do so."

Silver eyes narrowed. "Mother did not raise you to be that dense. Or to wear a mask of falsehood at times like this. With that wealthy husband of yours, surely you could afford a vocal teacher. This land is sheer evidence of your capabilities and fortune. So why—" She stopped, her eyes widening in realisation. She placed a hand under her chin in. "Hmm, every day he sings to you, you said? For how long?"

"...It wasn't very long. He normally sings for half an hour—"

The sister clicked her tongue. "Do not lie to me, because if I find out, you will be longing for a missing tongue."

Cordelia's eyes widened at the threat.

"That tongue of yours..." the sister continued, "...is full of foulness that spouts nothing but lies. Seems like it is only fitted to satisfy a man's lust."

The tension in the air grew heavier as both women glared at each other. The sister's darkened expression turned to surprise when Kanato tugged at her dress. She looked down to see him burying his face into it, quivering slightly. Her eyes softened as a pang of guilt spread from within her. She gently petted his head, chasing some of his fear away.

Heaving a sigh, she said, "No matter. Looking at his state, I seem to have already know the answer."

"The doctor has arrived, Cecelia-sama," the butler from before appeared, respectfully bowing.

Cecelia handed him a small bag of diamonds. The butler, fuelling her amusement, blanched upon realising what it was.

"Accept it as an expression of my gratitude. Now come with me Kanato. The doctor will get your lovely voice back." Her voice was gentle as she spoke to the lilac-haired boy.

She took his hand and led him away, past the flabbergasted butler. She halted when she reached the door, turning her head to the side. Her silver eye locked with her sister's furious lime green ones and flashed as it glowed a lighter silvery shade. The brightness clashed with her dark expression.

"Do realise that although we may be immortal, we are not invincible," she said. "We break, we crumble...we have flaws. And to simply be ignorance of those facts...you fail to realise the rare brilliances of an individual such as your son. That goes for your other two as well." She then sent the purple-haired woman a smile laced with venom. "To take things for granted...you only surprise me by falling lower every time I see you."