Union of Souls

Reshu,

Looking over my balcony , I smiled watching the greens of my palatial house. Every time I came here, it felt like a strange pressure. I always felt being scrutinised or pushed to things I don't like, but this time it was different. All seemed so beautiful and calm, just like it was when I was a kid.

''Reshu, abba is waiting for you join in him for breakfast.'' My mom's voice broke my stance. Smiling, I hopped one stair at a time to join my dad. 8:30 AM is the breakfast time in our house, ''Reshu, you are five mins late.'' Dad said pointing out to his watch.

''Mine shows 8:30 AM dad, I guess you should get yours checked.'' Shrugging my shoulders I joined him to savour my favourite dishes. In 15 days, I will be a Mathur. Mrs Reshu Mathur, and my parents are leaving no stone upturned to make it special.  They were pretty impressed after meeting Yash's parents and now are convinced that I made a right choice. 

After my parents broke the news to our relatives, there has been a big round table conference with everyone slamming my parents for allowing me go against the community. Some even started throwing proposals stating there are better guys than Yash. Well that was expected, Abba heard everyone patiently, his eyes moved to me as I stood in a corner staring my feet. Feeling his gaze on me, I lifted them to meet his .He smiled and gestured me to come to him, I obliged taking a place next to him on couch. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and silenced everyone, ''I think, I never asked for any opinion about my daughter's choice. I invited you as you are my family. if you have issues about the groom or my daughter's choice, you are most welcome not to attend the celebrations. Come what may, my daughter will marry the man she wants to.'' That bought a unexpected silence, then came a wailing voice of my aunt. My eyes went to dad, she is famous for her drama and I am hell scared of it. Dad rubbed his forehead, he had always tolerated her loud ways with patience . Today,  he wasn't looking for any drama. He dismissed everyone declaring the night, leaving my mom to tackle with her loud sister in law.

After lot of murmuring finally everyone gave in when my dad started reminding them of number of love marriages and inter community marriages in our family. Shikha landed a week after my arrival and she warned me against interfering in her work 

We had decided to marry according to both rituals with common functions to be celebrated in my place. Shikha did a splendid job organizing my Haldi, looking at the decoration I felt as if sun had landed to brighten and bless life in everything around me.

I stared at my self dressed in bright yellow fusion outfit, even to my eyes I looked beautiful. Yash effect. When I asked mom about Yash's haldi, she reprimanded me for behaving like a despo. I just rolled my eyes. Shika had already left for guest house where groom and his family were residing, she gave me a call while I was getting ready and my screen lit up so did my face. Yash sat in the middle getting tortured by his extended family, he kept whining for some time and then gave up, allowing the ladies to have their way with him. He winked at the camera and I felt my heart flutter, blush started creeping in as it dawned on me that he was aware that I was watching him.

''Its not a good sign'' The phone fell off my hands as mom startled me with a slap on my head. I heard the giggles of my cousins and quickly turned away. I hate all those girly teasing and tried to ignore. To my bad luck they took me for a blushing bride and I was being hammered with all kind of stupid girly comments. I was about to snap , but refrained when my mom glared at me . Once she left I answered all the teasing with words that made my not so experience cousins gasps and blush

Though I am not fond of lengthy rituals, I enjoyed mine to the core. Dressed in yellow and dawned with flower jewellery , I felt like nature goddess. I was showered with million blessings and then bathed in scented water. The event turned funny when my mom decided to apply haldi on Shikha, who gave a comical expression taking a flight from the place. Mom wasn't ready to give up and finally all helped catching hold of my best friend turning her into a yellow ghost. This girl will not get tied down that easily, but still I have a hope that it happens soon so that I can return the favor.