The Birthday

Reshu,

''What, a party without me? Not done. '' Shikha pouted as I told her about throwing a surprise birthday party for Yash. But there was a catch, I just wanted it to alone with him, and the girl who had been dying to throw me in his arms had suddenly turned a bone. ''I can't miss a cake you know'

Shikha gave me her best puppy look. Folding my arms to chest I glared at her with a raised brow. She smiled mischievously at me, ''Okay, I understand. I would have anyways left you two alone but not before I get my piece of cake. No,Half of the cake. I deserve that much for being uninvited. I jumped on her hugging tightly, ''You are invited, but you need to lock yourself in the room right after we are done with cake.''

''No way!! I am staying under the same roof with a couple screaming in heat. '' My eyes went wide at the choice of her words. She jumped out my arms running around as I chased her , warning to take those shameful words back. She suddenly pulled me in her arms halting our chase, ''I am so happy you realised your feelings. He is the one for you Resh.''

I smiled pulling back, ''I don't know what to call it Shikha, but I want to give all of myself to him. If that keeps him here.''

''You are an idiot. '' Shikha said emphasising on each word. ''if you think he here to mark you or brand you . You ought to be crazy. That man is working in night and stay up in the day so that he could have his best friend back. Who does that? Not even best of lovers have the patience he has Reshu. He doesn't care you reject him, all he cares for is to bring back the old Resh he met all those years back in his college. And here you are, associating the best part of your life to mere lust.''

I chose not to answer that. But the mere emotion love scared the shit out of me. I don't want any emotional attachment with anyone around. Not even Yash. Emotions, make you feeble and I have burnt myself once. I am not falling for it again. Yash is an awesome guy, but then all men are till they reach the goal. Being a girl friend and wife are two different things. I don't want to be a wife for sure, I just can't throw away my freedom and go back being same Reshu.

I know , people might call me stupid for such thoughts. I don't mind. But some scar run deep, and one rejection is too hard to let go, even after the wound had healed. I am never going back to be same old Reshu. This is a test for him. I want to see how much he would endure from me.

''Resh, you will repent if you lose him.''

''He is my friends and come what may, we are going to be that for life.'' Smiling I made my way to the kitchen when her words halted my steps, ''even the best of a person runs out of patience. Don't treat him the way you were being treated in past. He deserves much better.'' Again, I was speechless. I made my way to kitchen with Shikha in tow. We quietly did the arrangements for the evening surprise. I tried initiating a conversation, but her monologue made me shut up after few futile attempts.

***

By evening we were done with decorating the main hall and the centre table. Yash had been out whole day to meet his friend , who had travelled from US for a vacation. ''He will love it, won't he?'' I asked expectantly looking at my friend.

''yes, shams are so beautiful that people tend to fall for it. It's the reality that sucks and cuts deep.'' She said without glancing me a single look. She left me standing in the middle of the hall shutting the bedroom door hard. After 15 min she walked all dressed, ''Where are you going?''

''I am having a sleepover at my friends place.'' Shikha said adjusting the strap of the bag over her shoulder.

''But what about the party?'' I was shocked , I really didn't expect her to leave that way. She took a deep breath. ''I love you Resh, but I have no qualms about admitting that you are being a fool . I am sorry I can't be a part of something I don't approve. And Yash is a amazing guy, he considers me his friend. I just can't stand here , watch you making a fool of his emotions.''