15

"What's the deal with your friend?" Aris asked Thomas as they crawled through the vents of the building.

"What do you mean? Which one?" Thomas wondered.

"The girl. Marie. What's up with her? She just kinda stared at me and attacked someone. I heard her crying earlier." Aris explained his question further.

"Oh. We don't really know. In the Maze she'd always remember things. Yesterday she told us she wasn't even supposed to be in our Maze. I knew that cause I got stung by a griever, but she seems different. The people here did something to her. She came back from some tests and seemed paranoid. Then the thing with Teresa. She said they gave her some sort of hormone shot or something. I don't really believe her. She said people would die if she told us what happened, then backtracked and said it was some hormone shot." Thomas told Aris, causing his eyebrows to raise a little.

"People would die? Really?" Aris questioned. Thomas nodded slightly.

"That's what she told us. They've done something more though, it's like they just broke her. I mean she was holding herself together pretty well in the Maze, but you could tell she was scared and sad. Now, it's almost as if she can't hold everything together. Like she fell apart. I don't know what they did but whatever it was must've been horrible." Thomas sighed. He honestly wanted to know what happened.

Aris then showed him a room with strung up kids, where they found Aris' friend (or possibly more) Rachel. Janson came in when that happened and they rushed to hide.

Meanwhile Marie was walking back to their room. She was in hysterics, again. She'd been in the cafeteria when she was hit by another memory. She thought they had restored them all, but clearly they hadn't.

The room was cold so Marie was cuddled up to Newt to warm up. She had a feeling that something bad was going to happen.

"I'm going to read a list, we have figured out who's immune and who's not. You will not know what this means until you're all older, but even then you won't remember what we've said now." Janson spoke loudly. All the young children, varying from 8-12 were curled up to one another as the man spoke.

He started rattling names, Newt and Winston's names being in the mix.

"You are not immune, which means you're all going to die. You have no chance of surviving against the flare. No one has."

The man began rattling names again, Marie's not being on that list either.

"You are immune, which means, if you pass the tests you will survive. Chances are low that you will pass the test anyway, so don't get your hopes up."

Marie was whispering one of the things he'd said to herself repeatedly.

"You're all going to die. You're all going to die." Under her breath. It just stuck to her.

When she reached their room Newt and Minho quickly approached her, but the only words they could get out of her were "You're all going to die."

The vent burst open and out came Thomas and Aris.

"We need to leave, right now." Thomas stated, starting to block the door.

"Calm down, Tommy. Tell us what's going on!" Newt replied.

"It's WCKD. They're here. This is their plan. It's all part of their plan. We need to get out of here, right now." The Gladers had a tough time believing Thomas, as he rapidly blocked the door.

"He's right. We have to leave." Marie spoke with a monotone voice, staring right at Thomas. Newt and Minho looked at each other before helping Thomas. Fry and Winston helped too.

Marie just stood there staring at Thomas, and stayed put when they started leaving through the vent.

"C'mon, Rie. You said it yourself, we've gotta get going!" Minho grabbed her arm to take her with him.

"No. You guys go. I'll catch up." She insisted.

"Rie, we don't have time for th-"

"Go! Minho, quick! Leave!" She yelled, causing all the Gladers to freeze up. Thomas then told Minho to trust Marie, that she knew what she was doing and so they left. Marie stood alone in the room as Janson opened the door.

"Where are they?" He asked.

"Who?" Marie replied.

"Your friends? Thomas? Where are they?" He repeated.

"Ohhhhh, them? Oh yeah. Yeah. They know who you are." Marie smirked, before kicking the tray of needles and hurrying into the vent. She still remembered the ways around the place, so she'd easily be able to catch up. She heard Janson yelling as she started crawling.

She chose to jump down in a hallway, finding it easier to run. She saw her friends further down the hallway, but they had Teresa with them. She rolled her eyes at that and heard footsteps behind her. She quickly swung back up into the vent and closed it beneath her. She could hear Janson talking about how they'd never survive in the Scorch. She looked through the metal and saw him underneath the opening for the vent. The people behind him held weapons.

"Thomas, we can't leave without Marie!" Newt insisted. Marie smiled at that.

"You can. We've already got her in our custody. It was a brave move to stay behind but she didn't know what she was doing." Janson lied. Marie smirked.

"Thomas we have to go get her." Minho answered.

"She's as dumb now as she was before the Maze. She puts herself in situations she doesn't know how to handle. She tried escaping through the vents like you did but clearly she didn't succeed." Rat-Man kept lying, causing Marie to roll her eyes. She opened the vent and jumped down, knocking over one of Jansons men.

"Didn't I?" She questioned with a smile, grabbing the gun from the man she knocked over. She held it to Jansons head. "You guys back up or boss man goes." She threatened the guards. They instantly backed away. "And drop the weapons. Kick them over to me."

Yet again the guards did as told, the Gladers actually feeling quite scared too. They'd never really seen Marie like that. She seemed completely merciless and evil. Her eyes seemed darker than usual and her words were cold and sharp like daggers.

She watched the door open and some of her friends scurry out. With an insane smile she placed the gun against her own head as she started backing towards the door.

"You know you need me, Janson. You know I'm crucial to the little game of yours. You know WCKD doesn't stand a chance against my knowledge. Now I've got Thomas and me, your two most crucial pieces. The ones who dare go against your stupid orderlies. You know my death would make all hells break loose." Marie spoke calmly as she walked toward the open door. Thomas started approaching Marie carefully.

"Close the door." Janson ordered into his walkie-talkie. Marie frowned at that she fired a shot towards Janson, missing on purpose.

"I'm not scared, Janson. I've never been scared. So I'm going to leave and you're going to let me." Marie told him. He nodded ever so slightly.

"Wait with the doors." And so Marie walked through the door. She watched Janson order for them to close again as Thomas started shooting at Janson, throwing his launcher and sliding under the door.

Thomas raised a middle finger at Janson as they headed towards the doors. Marie took a few seconds to just breathe before following her friends. She was surprised that no one questioned her behaviour. Obviously, she thought too soon.

"M, what the bloody 'ell was that?"

-

I'm thinking I might delete this because it's it very very cringeworthy, what do you guys think? I have a different (non published) Maze Runner story that's probably a bit better but idk.