12

"Are you sure this is the girl?"

"Yes, it's simple- just restore the memories."

"They will kill us if we're wrong."

"It's the right girl."

Marie was breathing heavily as she stared at the lights. Her hands were stuck to the table for some reason, and the doctors spoke as if she wasn't there. She was then told to take deep breaths as they placed some sort of mask on her face but she refused. Eventually though she felt her body slowing down. 

She was a young girl, looking up at a boy with sandy blonde hair. Newt. His hand held hers tightly, he was only a little older but he was more mature.

"We're gonna be okay, M. These strangers will keep us safe." Newt reassured her, his small hands then wiping away her tears with care. She wrapped her arms around him. The two grown ups cried in the background, their combined features imbedded in the children before them. Newt then held onto Marie tightly as they walked away with the strangers.

A lot happened there as they were both escorted between several different rooms, and even though they were kept together they took individual photos of each of them before taking them to their new rooms.

They. They were the strangers. Newt kept hold of Marie as everything happened. He wouldn't let them hurt her. After a few years of testing and living with the strangers they got to know them a little.

"Newt, we are moving Marie to a different room. She will be residing with someone of different abilities. He's 10, like you. She will be safe." The lady in charge, Ava Paige, told Newt. The ten year old shook his head and crossed his arms.

"No."

"Minho is a good kid. He's a friend."

"Okay." And so they held Marie's hand as they walked her to a different room. An Asian boy sat on one of the beds.

"Hi. I'm Minho, and you are?" The boy asked, glancing at Marie a few extra times.

"I'm Marie." The girl answered, reaching out her hand to shake his.

From that day they became good friends and when they were 12 & 13 years old they started a relationship. Newt was slightly upset but let them. Their friend, Alby, was taken away to work on a special project. And soon a few more of their friends left.

When Newt was 14 they tried to take both him and Minho from Marie. The girl cried and clung to them tightly. She wouldn't let them take them. Newt told her he would be okay. He told her to stay alive. Minho eventually grabbed her hands and made her let go of him as they whizzed him away to another room. At least she still had her friend, Gally.

They took Gally a month later, but Minho returned.

When Marie was 15, her birthday being before Minho's so they were the same age for a few months, then they took him again.

"I love you, Minho." Marie cried.

"I love you too." He replied and then her hopeless begging started again. They didn't let Minho stay though, as it was his turn to join the experiment.

One and a half years later Marie found her way to the labs. She activated the screens and saw a lot of meaningless information. It stated immune or not, and there were numbers and names. She kept flicking, coming across Gally and Alby. Then it showed Newt. Marie tried to reach out and touch the boy she hadn't seen for three years, but she couldn't. He had matured and looked more grown. She wanted his soft hand to hold hers in the comforting way it used to. She tapped to the next screen and there was Minho. She cried. She admired his features, he had also grown. Most of the boys were difficult to recognise because of how much they had grown. She made mental note of each of their texts. Her savant syndrome coming into use.

She could recite every text book the staff had give her to the letter. This was easy to remember. She clicked to the next page and saw the same kind of file for one of the boys who worked there. The date was set for a month from that day. Marie raised her eyebrows and memorised Thomas' writing as well.

Then the alarm started blaring in her ears; she had been caught. She couldn't run, but she tried. Eventually the guards caught her and the grown ups started discussing her punishment. They brought in Thomas and Teresa.

"Maze C, the one with the faults, would be my suggestion. Leave her on her own to struggle for trying to meddle." Teresa suggested.

"We can't just kill her! At least let's get her to her room. I'll take her." Thomas glanced over at the girl who was sobbing in the corner.

"Okay, Tom, take her to her room. Then we can talk about this." Teresa answered, glaring at the sobbing blonde. Thomas carefully walked over to the fragile girl and helped her up. He explained what they were planning as they walked her to her room. He tried to give her a hug to comfort her.

"Why!? Why?" She cried, trying to push the brunet away. Tears were streaming down her cheeks as she completely broke down. Not only had she lost the most important people in her life, but she had also just sentenced herself to a gruesome death if Teresa got her will through.

"It's gonna be okay, Marie. I promise. I'll fix this. I'll get you to them." He promised, before rushing out of the room. Marie watched as Thomas ran back to Ava and Teresa. She then lay in bed and cried herself to sleep.

Cold metal, flashing lights, a box of sorts with her fingers wrapped around it. Her first thought was a sarcastic "great. It happened." Then she turned around and saw a group of boys, that initial thought disappearing.

A deep breath was well needed as Marie sat up.

"I'm not the right girl." She told the doctors and guards in the room. "She's a brunette. If you get me back to my friends I won't tell on you. I'll act clueless, okay?" Marie promised.

They all glanced at each other before the guards stepped forward.