9

Everyone stood anxiously waiting for Minho and Alby to return. After banishing Ben, which Marie found terrifying, Alby and Minho went to retrace their steps. Marie really didn't want them to but they did.

They were supposed to have returned. They should've been back. They weren't.

The Greenie, Thomas, then spotted them.

"C'mon Minho!" Marie yelled as the doors started closing. Realisation his that he wouldn't be able to make it. Then the stupid Greenie ran into the Maze.

"Thomas!" Newt tried to grab him.

The doors closed.

Rie stared at the doors with tears in her eyes, not moving. The other Gladers did the same until Newt solemnly told them to get back to what they were supposed to be doing. Marie stayed there staring at the walls.

"M, you can't just stay here all night." Newt told her but there was no reply. "C'mon, come with me." Newt put his hand on her arm and she shrugged it off.

"Tewie... he's not coming back, is he?" Marie asked.

"We don't know that, M." Newt replied hesitantly.

"Minho!" She screamed, her lungs feeling like they were going to collapse. Several Gladers turned around at the sound but decided to head off. "Minho!" She kept yelling.

"Hey, they'll be alright, calm down.." Newt reassuringly patted Marie's back.

"I can't stay here if he's gone, Newt. I can't. I can't make myself do that. I will go insane. Imagine if I start remembering things again. What happens then? If he's gone and I remember a lot more. I'd kill myself. I'm already down enough about the memories I have. What if they give me more? What if Paige returns them all?" Marie panicked.

"Woah, woah, woah. You are not going to kill yourself. I've tried, remember. You're not doing the same." Newt told her. "Wait, who's Paige?"

"Paige? I don't know. I don't even know why I said that." Marie stammered. Newt then simply wrapped his arms around her, letting her cry as much as she needed to. His eyes glazed over with tears too, but he stayed strong for Marie and the other Gladers. He had no choice but to stay strong.

Newt didn't think he would be sitting right by the way all night, with a sobbing Marie, but he did. He waited.

"Newt, I feel like I was a mistake. I remember too much. The only other person who does this kind of stuff is Thomas. I feel likeI can trust him but I don't know why and that freaks me out cause I didn't trust any of you guys straight away, except Minho. Now I think Thomas is onto something but I don't know." Marie rambled as Newt tried to make her calm down.

"Hey, hey, shh. Just, try not to think about anything until morning. They'll be back." Newt reassured Marie. Eventually she fell asleep, and he did too.

The sun rose above the Glade and the Gladers were gathering by the wall of the Maze, waiting for it to open. Gally noticed Newt and Marie sat against it, sleeping.

"Hey, you two. Wake up." He spoke at them, Newt slowly opened his eyes at the sound but Marie still slept.

"Gally, she was awake most of the night. We should probably let her rest until the doors are open. She was freaking out about Minho and Thomas the whole time. I think she passed out from worrying so much." Newt explained to Gally, who hesitated to answer.

"Alright, let her be for now." He sighed.

So when the doors started opening they waited and watched, filled with hope. But, nobody came.

"Okay, wake her up.. I'm not gonna be the one to tell her." Gally sighed.

"No one needs to." Marie spoke up, walking towards the Gladers.

"They have to come back." Chuck mentioned.

"I told you, Chuck, they're not coming back." Newt told Chuck quietly. People began turning around to leave. Marie stayed staring at the open doors.

"I'll go in there if I have to. They're not gone." She whispered. Then, she saw movement. "Uhh, Newt." She let out louder. He turned back around, and so did Chuck.

"Yeahh!" Chuck yelled, causing the other Gladers to turn around again. They all saw Minho and Thomas dragging out Alby.

"Minho!" Marie yelled happily. Her eyes watered up again as the three guys got out of the Maze. People instantly rushed to help them and Marie stayed behind them smiling.

"Did you see a griever?" Chuck asked.

"Yeah." Thomas answered.

"He didn't just see it, he killed it." Minho added. His eyes locked with Marie's and he flashed a small smile.

The med-jacks took Alby and Gally decided they should have a meeting about what happened.

While everyone was preparing for the meeting, Marie took time with Minho.

"I was so scared. I thought you were gonna die." Marie told Minho, wrapping her arms around his neck. Minho's arms moved to her waist automatically.

"I didn't. Thank Thomas for that one, but I'm alive and I'm here with you. I heard you yell for me when the doors closed. I know you were scared. But you don't have to be scared anymore, I'm here." Minho replied in the same hushed tone Marie had used. He moved her away from their hug, hands still on her waist. He looked into her eyes and then to her lips. He then pressed a soft kiss to her lips, Marie kissing back.

It was perfect in the moment, before they were interrupted.

"Stop eating each other's faces. Gally will see you. C'mon, you've gotta both get to this bloody meeting." Newt chuckled. They all then walked to the homestead and entered the room for the meeting.

People started talking and Marie tuned them out, trying to focus on remembering what Paige meant or who Paige was. It meant something. This 'Paige' was important.

Maybe the girl she had seen was called Paige, the one who took Minho.

Maybe she could force herself to remember, so she tried.