Gale- Forgiveness

*

Karlton had managed to persuade me to step out of the bedroom for a spell. His large hand balanced itself steadily over my shoulder, guiding me out with a certain tenderness that calmed me. He took me downstairs and brought me out into a deserted common room, where the curtains had been left open. The air in the room hung thickly, so I stalked over to the windows, Karlton behind me, and opened them.

Even after everything that'd happened, the chill of the night time air and the view of the city beyond lifted my spirits- for the time being, anyway. The feel of Karlton's soft hands against my skin was another added comfort, but it wasn't enough to curb my wayward emotions for long.

"Why couldn't I have prevented it?" I said, though I expected no reply.

"Bo, stop this. You did what you could. No one could've seen it coming."

"You'd think I'd be used to nasty surprises like this by now. But I wish this surprise hurt me more than it'd hurt Jacob. This isn't fair; I promised his mother that I would look after him."

"It's not your job to coddle him like a baby. Both of you understood what kind of danger he was walking into, and besides, you weren't the one to mess up his head, were you? Stop trying to take all the blame."

"But it is my fault."

"No, it's not. The two of you decided to find this guy on your own. You both told no-one, no friends, no family, not even the damn police," Karlton barked, taking me by surprise.

"How could we have? I'm sorry, but I doubt anyone will have taken us seriously," I retorted sharply, put off by his accusatory tone.

"Well, clearly some do and even the correction school will be in on this soon. Dear hell, Bo, you're acting just like that kid."

"Who?" I leant closer.

"You haven't read the letter yet?"

"I haven't had the chance."

"That Aminata girl, you're so like her. She apologises for almost everything, even when she really shouldn't be."

"You've met her? Wh-what about the other children?" I spluttered.

"You see, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. Those kids are really sweet on you, aren't they? Pretty much pounced on me the moment I said I was a friend of yours." Karlton stopped and lowered his head, smiling to himself. "They'd like to see you again, with their families."

"Families? Aren't they still at the correction school?"

"Bo?" Karlton took in a breath and started to play with his thumbs. He forced himself to look me in the eye, a move which must've taken a tremendous effort. "I haven't told you much about Pa, have I?"

I couldn't tell what this question had to do with the children, but the one thing I'd picked up from all my time spent with Karlton was that it was best to let him move at his own pace. "You haven't."

"Well, the thing is, my father knows many people, some nicer than others. My pa had a lady friend- Claudia's mother. She hasn't made life easy for me, that much I'll say. The two of them mixed up with all sorts of people, and the woman's attitude towards said people didn't earn the pair of them any points. Listen, what I'm getting at is that some of the folks Pa knew bribed those poor kids and others into doing their dirty work, just to rub salt in my old man's wounds. Threatened even, in some cases."

"How do you know of this? Those children refused to say anything to anyone at all."

"Those kids know how to keep quiet. Their offenders don't. And apparently, it only takes a little wine for them to get talking. Only the spirits know why Pa thought it was a good idea to party it up with all those troublemakers."

"A party? What for?"

"Pa's ex recovered from an illness. And just as well, too. I might never have found a reason to bail everyone out otherwise."

"You bailed them all out?"

"I just had to think 'What would Boahinmaa do?'" He caught my gaze, throwing me off by just how broad, how easy the smile on his lips had become. "That's all it took."

His kind words had me glowing with happiness. "This is what you'd been trying to tell me all night? You came to the party because of this?"

"I'd be lying if I said I came for this alone. Bo, I also came to apologise to you, for treating you badly, back at the hotel, when you were just trying to lend a hand. You did a lot more than many others I know would've bothered. Look, I was a closed-off guy, and there's plenty left that I haven't told you. For that I'm sorry."

"If you're apologising, then its only fair for me to do the same. I pushed you too far." My hand shot up because I knew that look on his face, that he was about to counter what I'd just said. "No, Karlton, it's true, and you know it. I'm so, so sorry. Truly, I am."

"Just come here." He drew me into his arms and held on tight. So near me was he that I caught his vanilla scent, felt the warmth radiating from him.

For a blessed moment, the heavy burden of sadness lifted itself off of me, and I felt like I could fly. And, yes, I knew I had the ability to, but that's beside the point.

Karlton pulled back first, though his arms remained circled around my waist. I saw him hesitate before he leaned in again, placing his chin against my shoulder.

"Thank you for telling me," I said. In turn, I elaborated fully on being an immortal, on why I had to go in such a hurry. It was the right thing to do.

"I was upset," he admitted, pulling back and explaining himself after one glance at my confused look. "The night I brought you to Gomi's outskirts. I'm not good with rejection. I thought it'd be easier to pretend I didn't care anymore."

"But we're here now. As friends."

Karlton hummed. "I'm glad I got over it. And knowing you're an immortal, I get why you need to go so soon. But if we had more time..."

"Promise me we'll make the most of the time that we do have left?" I asked.

"Yeah. And I'll make sure you get to see the kids before you head home, too."

"Karl?"

"Mm?"

"I'll do what I can to see you after I return. I mean it."

His cheeks reddening, Karlton gave me a half-smile. "I'd appreciate that."

*

Discussion: How do you feel about Gale and Karlton's reconciliation?

Feel free to comment and vote if you enjoyed this chapter!