Jack- His Choice

*

When I returned to my suite, I passed out cold, flopping onto the bed like a man who'd had enough of the world- and I'd have thought of myself as such a man. It was father's amber eyes that met mine as I struggled to get up later in the afternoon.

"How do you feel?"

"Better. Where is everyone?" Looking around, I saw it was only the two of us.

"They're outside. Kaia, Immortal Gale and that young man are waiting for you."

"Akosua, what about her?"

"Gone- had to run an errand of some sort. But she's needed back in Anglia and should be leaving soon with her wife. She sends you her love."

"I see."

Already wrapping his arms around me, Father asked, "Do you feel strong enough to walk?"

"Maybe with some help."

I got out of bed, leaning onto his bulky form as he brought me close. Groaning, my fingers clutched tight at his waist. 

"Steady now."

Raising my eyebrows, I nodded down. "Your suitcase."

Father left an arm around my middle, bending to pick up his travelling case. Instead of the fancy tunic and baggy, ankle-length ghattes he'd had on the night before, he sported a simple polo neck-trouser combo.

 "I'm sorry to be leaving you so soon. But I trust you'll be okay with Kaia and your other friends."

"Where are you going?"

"Home. Your mother needs to know what's happened. Better face to face than over the phone."

"Understandable."

Father didn't move forward just yet; he let his eyes close, bent his head, and took in a weak breath, though he found it in him to look me right in the eye eventually. "I know you're still upset. But, when you return to the house, I hope you'll find it a little easier to be around me."

"You're not going back to your post?"

"Not for a long while. Promise me you'll take care. And call."

"I'll do that." I hesitated. "Thanks, by the way. I know it must've been hard to say what you'd said."

"Anything for you, son."

After leaving The Dome, Akosua had prepared and lent us the use of her home in the city. About three in the afternoon, a few days later, Gale pulled me to one side. I'd just been about to head over to the prison to visit Yafeu again- now able to walk on my own without feeling like passing out -but Gale had stopped me, placing her hand on my shoulder.

"Jacob, If you have a minute-"

"Excuse me." A maid tentatively called, stepping into the lounge. "There's a man here for Miss Boahinmaa. Karlton Jones, I believe?"

"Good!" Gale smiled brightly, clapping her hands together. 

"I'll see you later." Shouldering my own bag, I nodded and went on. 

The air outside was cool, and it looked like it would start to rain. Sure enough, a drizzle began after I'd met Karlton in the hall, just as I stepped beyond the door. Karlton patted my shoulder in acknowledgement as I went by and ran a hand through his damp hair, looking carelessly cheerful.

Some would say I was a fool for visiting the prison again. Kaia would've (but she'd decided to sleep in). But I couldn't deny my knack for holding on to memories of days long gone. At times, a shadow of somebody, a wisp of an image from the past, would dance before my eyes, a brazen taunt if I ever saw one. Of Yafeu's illusions, I was free, but my own guilt conjured up pictures of what'd I'd lost.