Gale- News

*

I hadn't really settled into a deep sleep and was instead drifting in that strange state between being awake and total unconsciousness. During this time, I'm certain somebody paused outside my room. For a few seconds, all was still. I almost shifted upwards, but a soft sigh stopped me and the footsteps receded down one of the corridors.

I arose early the following morning with a headache and winced as I got out of bed. Pulling my night robe around me tighter, I stood at the balcony, basking in the feel of the cool, morning air.

Watching the people on the streets below was something I couldn't help but do. The swelling over my eye hindered my sight of course, but just watching, just thinking, was no less enjoyable than it'd always been.

Deciding that I'd been idling for long enough, I finally prepared myself for the day ahead, even using the water box rather than the bath for once. Using makeup, I did what I could to obscure my bruised skin, but none of my endeavours were fruitful. And having to look at myself, at a face with such a malady, served only to sink my spirits further. I let my hair fall over my swollen eye and tied it at the back.

For the first time in a while, I felt no need to leave my room, and still in my nightrobe, I doubted I would've been able to go to many places, anyway. Yet the thought of doing nothing with my day only seemed to upset me further.

Stripping out of the robe, I changed into a black tunic, it's hem just brushing my knees. After pushing my trunk back beneath my bed, I set for the centre of my room. The red walls around me seemed to disappear, making the room feel even more spacious as I pulled my arms over my head for the first of my stretches.

I'd been neglecting my exercises for too long, I knew. The flow, the tingle of magic running through my veins wasn't as it had been a few weeks prior. As a person on the move, quite reasonably, I hadn't always had the opportunity. Though, during these last few days at The Zendua, one wouldn't be wrong in saying I'd loosened in my resolve.

Bending to the floor to stretch out my legs, I attempted pushing all thoughts of Nene, Karlton- everything -from my mind. But, try as I might, the thoughts resurfaced. Being alone in such a cold emptiness did nothing for me, and I longed for company. As I bent my legs back for one final stretch, a knock came from the door.

Karlton pushed it forward at my word, eyes briefly falling to the floor.

"Hi! ...Karlton, how are you?" I wobbled on my feet, falling to the ground in a heap. "Goodness."

"You okay over there?" I pushed away the hand that'd been offered to help me up and brushed myself off upon rising.

"Fine. Just fine."

"What were you doing?"

"Exercising. Getting the blood flowing. Haha..." I swiped a fist through the air, drawing it back hurridly at Karlton's bewildered look.

"Right. Anyway. Just came to see how you were doing. That sort of thing." He folded his arms behind his back, both his lips pressed into a hard line.

"I was coming to find you," I blurted. "I mean, I was wondering if you could use some company."

"I've got twenty minutes." Karlton nodded matter-of-factly. He stalked over to one of the armchairs, sinking into the dark, leather seat.

Balancing uncertainly, I swiped at my lips with my tongue; I hadn't actually thought he'd say yes. Ever so little, I lowered myself down to the floor and grabbed the end of my foot to start my stretches again. Feeling Karlton's gaze, I looked over at him. His eyes flicked away, and he started to tap on the arms of his seat.