Jack- Forgiveness

*

The party was over.

I'd been laid down on a soft bed in one of The Dome's guest suites. 

By my side Gale stretched out an arm, placing a cool hand onto my forehead. "He's still warm, but he's getting better. I don't know if he'll recover fully; we'll just have to wait and see."

"Don't you have anything to help him? Anything at all?" Father asked.

"I'm afraid not."

"Y-Yafeu, where-" I slumped further into the pillows.

"Taken care of," Father said gruffly.

"No." I struggled. "Tell me what you mean by that."

"He's been arrested."

"Arrested?"

"Manu, I promise that, once you're better, I'll explain to you in full."

"But-"

"Don't argue with me, son."

I groaned and gave Father a hard glare, feeling none of the guilt that'd typically build at doing such a thing. He gave me a stern look, but only pushed me down gently.

Perhaps my mind being in a muddle was what provided me with an unexpected bout of courage. I pushed myself straight back up but fell on my attempt to get out of the bed. Fresh memories of my torment resurfaced every time I saw Kaia, Akosua, or Father.

Father and Gale leaned down, both wrapping an arm around me to help me back up. "Jacob," Gale started, laying me on the bed again, "I know you want answers, and you'll get them."

"Immortal Gale," Father called, "Forgive me, but my son is in no state for any more turmoil. We don't even know how long he'll be like this."

"Mr Agyakwa, there'll never be a right time. Never."

He nodded reluctantly. "Let him rest his eyes for a few hours first, at least. Just look at-" He stopped himself with a sob, swallowing before reaching out to pull my blankets over me properly.

"Should we leave?" Kaia had her hand on the doorknob already, and Akosua inched towards her.

"No, don't," Father ordered, moving his head to get a better look at them. He hesitated, bolstering himself for his next words. "As two of my son's closest friends, you need to be here." He glanced at me for confirmation.

I gave a weak thumbs up.

"Then it's settled."

~

After a three hour nap, Father explained how they'd been able to persuade the police to take Yafeu into their custody, how Yafeu himself had nearly collapsed from the use of his casting. He paused, and finally, finally, started on what I'd been waiting for with bated breath.

"I think it's safe to say I haven't made myself very popular with your friends," he started. "And, no matter how many presents I sent you, and how often I'd try to visit, there's always been a small part of you that's resented me."