Jack- Unsure

*

Later that night, I caught Mother wandering through the second floor of the house, holding a glass of water in her right hand. The door to my room clicked closed, the sound echoing through the stillness.

"You're up rather late, Manu."

"Couldn't sleep." I shrugged like it didn't matter in the slightest.

"Well, try to get some rest. You'll need an early start tomorrow to begin with planning for the big trip."

"I know. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, son." She swivelled on her heel, the water in her glass sloshing against its sides with the movement. She brought one hand up to stifle a yawn.

I faced my bedroom door, reaching towards the handle. But my hands, stiff, failed to clasp properly at it. Agreeing to go with the woman had been a stupid thing to do, I reasoned, finally grabbing hold of the door handle. Clearly, she had higher hopes than I did. But maybe I only had a problem with her, not the trip in and of itself.

Scratch that.

"Wait."

"What's wrong, dear?" Mother yawned again and adjusted her black nightgown, stopping before reaching the stairs to the floor above, which were right at the end of the corridor. Gale was already asleep in one of the spare guest rooms, and I should've been, too, but one thing continued to circle in my head.

"Quick question, so how much do you think this trip will cost? Roughly speaking. I don't have much in terms of savings. I put most of it towards the house."

"Yes, I recall." She sipped at her water. "But I also recall the large sum of money you told me Kaia had transferred to you."

"Like I've said already, I didn't want it."

"But the both of you bought that house together, so why not just accept your share of the money and move on? Look, I'll pay. If it gets you to go, I'll be more than happy to," she implored, rubbing her forehead.

"I'm really not sure about all of this. I don't think now's the right time," I admitted, leaning against the wall behind me. "And don't pay."

Mother shuffled closer, her eyes flitted shut. The overhead lights illuminated her features, wrinkles and all.

"When you've been around for as long as I have," she began, "you learn that, sometimes, it's good to just give things a go. Besides, what's wrong with a vacation, anyway? You've been doing nothing but working yourself into the ground for the past two years."

She was one to talk.

"And after your illness, my son, surely you now understand. Life is much too short."

I breathed in heavily, squeezed one of my fingers. "This 'Gale', I don't know her. Listen, for all I know, she could be a con woman."

"Not everyone is here to hurt you," Mother assured. "Even after what the kids... Regardless, Immortal Gale is an honourable woman, believe me. And if you really think she's a fake, why did you agree to her request?"

"Okay, so maybe I do want to start travelling again. But I'd prefer going alone."

"Tell me, what happens every time you decide to do that? You come back exhausted. Holidays aren't meant to do that to you."

"Dealing with food suppliers is always a hassle. You know this as well as I do."

"I don't pay you to negotiate with them when you're on vacation," Mother shot.

"Better to get things out of the way."

"Jacob-"

Feet padded against the staircase, and Gale appeared at the end of the corridor, holding back a yawn with one hand while her other arm stretched over her head. She clutched a bundle of cloth in the hand above her, the end of it brushing over the top of her hair.

"Hello...Immortal Gale. I apologise, did my son and I wake you?" Mother turned to her, both her hands held together as a nervous smile wobbled on her face.

"Oh, no. Actually, I have a bit of a problem." Gale pulled my mother to one side by her arm and said something- rather loudly -into her ear. "My courses-"

I blocked out the rest of her words and picked at my fingernails.

"Of course. I'll have one of the girls change the sheets in the morning."

"Sorry for this," Gale said before finally turning and taking the stairs to the floor below.

"The bathroom's through the first corridor on your right. Second door!" Mother called after her. "And you're welcome to use another of the guest rooms."

"Thank you!"

I raised an eyebrow, kissing my teeth a bit and wheeled round to my bedroom again, a 'goodnight' already halfway out of my mouth.

"Look, I'm not sure if I should...Listen." Mother struggled, waving a hand. I stopped. "Immortal Gale told me something. I don't know how much if it I should disclose, but I'll say this much. You and Gale are more alike than you think; she's lonely."

"She has a friend up north. Besides, you're the one who believes in these things. I don't."

She shook her head in response, rubbing her eyes. "I'd love nothing more than to spend time with Gale. Apart from yesterday, the last I saw her was weeks ago when the first of your symptoms started." Her voice was soft, almost regretful-sounding. She carried on, sharper this time, "As your employer, I'm giving you time off; you're in dire need of it. You'll have three months of no work. "

I frowned.

"I promise you that not everyone is here to make your life a miserable one. Just give Gale a chance, okay?" She paused to pinch the bridge of her nose and continued, quieter, "And, you know, some of the kids, they came to the hospital. Perhaps you should try and call them?" Mother looked down at me earnestly.

"Maybe a break won't be so bad. At least the girl doesn't seem like a bore," I argued with myself, licking my lips. I looked back up at her. "I'll go with the 'immortal'. If you think this is what I need...then, I'll try it," I relented, thinking that the trip would amount to nothing anyway. Despite myself, I hoped that maybe something good would come of it, whatever that might've been.

Smiling, she stretched, ready to return to the master bedroom. "Goodnight, Jack. And don't forget to pack your copy of The Guide. It might prove useful."

"I'll do that. Goodnight."

*

Discussion: What do you think of Gale's character so far? How do you think her relationship with Jacob will play out?

Feel free to comment and vote if you enjoyed this chapter!