Gale- Who You Are, Part 1

*

The wait was torturous; one day blended into the next, and I went around the city constantly to try and alleviate my nerves. The situation wasn't helped by the few camera people who found it necessary to lurk behind me- as per usual.

On one day, I'd gotten a message at the hotel's reception that Jacob wanted me to give him a call, but I was so anxious and forgot to do it. Karlton found me bobbing about in the swimming pool on a dull Monday, almost a week later.

"We've found them."

~

The police station was a grand building made from pale red sandstone, which seemed grey in the gloomy light of the morning. Karlton and I meandered through the busy streets, pushed past the large, heavy doors and stepped into the cool air of the lobby.

"Bo," Karlton said, placing a guiding hand on my back, "This is Detective Inspector Mahama." A thin woman with greying, black hair nodded at me, holding her right hand out expectantly.

"Hello, nice to meet you." I gripped her hand, shaking it firmly.

"She'll be the one asking you the questions," he confirmed.

"Alright, then. I'll see you afterwards."

"Of course." Though, by the way Karlton looked away and pushed his hands inside the pockets of his trousers, I begged to differ.

The interview began simply enough, and, briefly, I thought I'd be free from the stifling atmosphere of the plain, little interview room soon.

"What is your relation with Nene Kyei?"

"Nothing. I came across her when I had wandered to the borders of the slums, but we had not met before that."

"Okay," the officer mumbled absently, scribbling onto her sheet of paper again. She lifted her pencil and her eyes met mine. "And do you know anything about how the fires had been started in the first place?"

I pressed both of my palms onto the wooden surface of the table between us, looking down.

"I do. But the explanation is rather far-fetched."

"Maybe, but any information you have is better than none at all."

"That is true. But, officer, I ask that you keep an open mind." DI Mahama stared, her eyes narrowed.

"Where are you going with this?"

"I'm about to show you. And," I stopped, looking around the room, "for safety's sake, could we do this outside?"

The two of us emerged in a small courtyard at the back of the station. A couple of other officers were walking about, so we went to a discreet corner. I held my hand out- about an arm's length away from the officer -and allowed a small flame to flicker to life in the centre of my palm. As quickly as it'd come, it disappeared.

Blinking rapidly, the officer's mouth hung open. She caught herself and pinched her lips together.

"You've heard of the casting classes. They're a big part of your culture, I'm sure," I said.

"What Egordish person hasn't heard of them? But, the truth is, not many of us believe in such things."

"If only that wasn't the case."

"Let's get back inside. I have more questions for you."

Once in the interview room once more, I turned to DI Mahama and, before we'd even sat down. "Before you ask me more questions please give me the chance to ask you something. It's about the girl. Will she really be arrested?"