Listen

*Credit to A**a B****ing on Facebook**

They didn't listen to me. They never do. Here I was trapped inside my own closet listening to the strange noises that came from the other side of the door. Scratching, clawing, and a horrible wailing from the thing on the other side of the door. Tears rolled down my cheeks as my lungs tried to get more oxygen into my body. The more I tried to breathe the harder it got. My heart was pounding in my ears, but I could still hear it trying to get to me.

The family had finally moved out of the city and returned to a small town in the middle of nowhere u.s.a. The town was nice enough to us and fathers job wasn't to far away, mother got a new job at the gas station in the middle of town. That left me alone a lot to do as I wanted. It was near the end of the school year so I wasn't to be enrolled until the upcoming school year. This left me with a lot of time to explore the area, I thought I was tough going into high school as a freshman. I thought I could handle anything, until I found that door in back yard hidden under the weeds. Two things odd about this door in the back yard, one there were etchings in the metal and the concrete, and two there was a thick chain across the door and staked into the concrete.

Something deep down with in me told me to leave and forget the door was there, but I was stupid enough to push the feeling away. I ran back to the house in search for a pair of bolt cutters. Sighing I was starting to give up on finding the darn things when out of the corner of my eye I spotted them, a grin spread over my features as my eyes lit up. Finally found them! Now to go open that door and see what is inside of there! I let out a giggle picking the bolt cutters up and moving back out to that door.

I should have listened to my gut that day for when I cut the thick chain there was a small explosion that knocked me back and the door off of its hinges, it landed only a few feet away from me. My ears were ringing it was all I could hear other than my own beating heart and that sounded like it was far off in the distances. I was having trouble breathing, I couldn't pull in enough air into my lungs. I tried to get up off the ground, was only able to sit up and look at where the door once was.

The smell that rose out of that pitch black hole made everything I had ate and everything I have ever though of eating come out. I raised my arm up to press it against my nose after I had an empty stomach. There were tears in my eyes making everything blurry I couldn't tell what I was seeing. I tried blinking the tears away I thought I saw something crawling out of the hole in the ground, when I looked again nothing was there. The feeling of wanting to go look into that hole was gone, I just wanted to go crawl in bed.

It took me a while to be able to move right and make it back to the house. I didn't even try to move the door that was blown off, didn't even look at it. I made it back to the house and crawled into bed right as my mother got home. I thought for sure she was going to say something about hearing a big explosion, but nothing. I was happy for that.

That night was normal nothing started to happen until after my mother and father left in the morning. I was half asleep walking around in my room debating if I should get dressed or not. The front door closed.' I am up.' I called out thinking it was my mother popping back in, but no sound from her. I moved through the house only to stop and stare out the window towards where the door and hole was. I slipped on some flip flops and headed out. That was my second mistake going back out to the hole. It was around ten in the morning so the sun was up and shinning down around. Every where, but that hole light from the sun didn't even pierce the blackness inside of it.

I swallowed hard throat suddenly dry from being so close to it. Now I never had a fear of dark places my whole life, even enjoyed walks at night. This wasn't like the night I knew this was darker than that. I couldn't turn my back to the hole a bad feeling was building up as the the birds went silent. I backed up away from it coming to a stop next to the door, I tore my eyes away from the hole to look at the door. My breath caught in my throat there on the door were claw marks. Not nail marks no no. Four deep claw marks in different spots on the door.