Epilogue

Epilogue

People always say nothing lasts forever, but they're wrong. People don't last forever, but their love does. Love will last for longer than a lifetime. Up in the sky there is one star, waiting for its true love. Shining, but not fully illuminated, until it's reunited with its love. This story has been on a rollercoaster, but the one thing that has always remained was Katniss and Peeta's love. Now it's their time.

And I'm sorry.

I look weakly around at mine and Peeta's beautiful children and grandchildren. They are so beautiful. Adrian, Willow and Ivy. They are all married with gorgeous children. I've never been so proud of them in my life.

But years have passed. And it's my time. My time to see my beloved Peeta again. He died 7 years ago of a heart attack. I can still remember the pain of watching him die, having to say goodbye when I knew I would have to live without him. His smile was gone, his bright blue eyes that held so much love would never been seen again.

I can still remember the first time we met; he spilt his drink all over me when playing beach volleyball. That seems like a lifetime ago, so long ago I yearn for Peeta's presence again. I need him. I need to be held in his arms again and kissed. I was so heartbroken when he died. My one true love had disappeared, gone forever. And now it's my time.

Adrian, Willow and Ivy sit around my bed, holding my hands. "It's okay, momma," Ivy whispers through her tears. "You can let go." I remember the eulogy that Peeta had written me before he died. He said he wanted it to be read at my funeral since he couldn't be there, at least not in person. But he will always be with me, in my heart.

I gather up everything I can and whisper in a husky voice, "Eulogy." I need to read it again. I need a piece of Peeta with me when I die. I can't lose him again. His time was before me, and it was too soon. He's been gone for too long, never is he ever going to walk or talk, or see our beautiful children or grandchildren again.

The past 7 years have been heart shattering without him. But now I'm going to join him again. Adrian walks over and hands me a familiar piece of paper. It has tear stains on it from the many times I've read over it and held the last piece of Peeta I have left close to me. I shakily lift up my old, wrinkly hand and carefully grab the paper off him.

Katniss, forever will our love last and I'm so sorry that I have to leave you. Stay brave and stay strong, my love. As much as I want to see my dear Katniss and hold her close to me, breathing in her scent, I don't want her to die. I want her to live on forever. But I know that such a thing is impossible. These are my last words to her and I know that they can never explain the depth of my love for her. She's so beautiful and I know that will never change. She doesn't realise how much she lights up a room as soon as she enters.

So here we finally meet again, and our love will last forever. I love her so much, so, so much. Words cannot explain how much she means to me. Katniss, never give up on life. I hope you lived your life to the full. I miss you so much, my dear. Please don't forget me. I will always love you, more than the amount of stars in the sky on the busiest night. My infinite love for you is uncontainable and I miss you so much. Thank you for our beautiful children and family. I could never have done that without you. So Katniss, my love, forever. I will stay with you, always. I will love you infinitely, and I will continue to dream of your beauty even in death. You're so beautiful and I love you. See you soon.

I choke back the tears because I know that I will be seeing Peeta again in a short time. "I love you all." I say to our children as I clutch the letter tightly to my chest. "Don't be afraid," Willow says as she squeezes my hand. "You'll be safe with Daddy." I let the heaviness in my eyes give way. The room blurs and slowly darkens.

And then I see a light. It's my Peeta, my love. He isn't old like he was when he died, it's his 24 year old self, the same as when we got married and had children. "It's time," he says and his voice sounds distant and echoes. "Are you ready?" He asks as he stretches out his hand towards me.

I lift my hands to meet his and find that they are no longer old and wrinkly. I place my hand in his and rise up from the bed. I turn around and look back down at my old self. I am lying in the bed with my eyes closed, the eulogy from Peeta clutched tightly to my chest. Adrian, Willow and Ivy are all crying as they cling onto each other. I turn back to Peeta and he smiles sadly at me.

"Forever and always." He whispers as I take a step towards him. "Forever and always." I say back, and then, for the first time in 7 years, I feel his lips on mine.

And from this day on, there are now two bright stars in the midnight sky, sitting right next to each other, where we know their love will be eternal forever.

_________________________________________
Edited by SunshineRainbow7 ~ *sob* ~

So that's it. California Love is officially over. It's so sad, but at least I still have Forbidden Love, and my new book which is starting today. I just need to think of a name for it :D

Thank you so much to everyone who read, commented and voted for this story. I love you all, and you've been great. Thank you.