Chapter 14: Swan Lake

I wake up to the sounds of a slow beeping and a buzzing noise. I can feel a soft pressure on my hand and I'm still incredibly cold, though not as cold as before.

I shiver at the thought and the grip on my hand tightens.

"Katniss? Kat, can you hear me?" I know that angelic voice. I slowly open my eyes and squint them at the sudden blinding white light. Once my eyes adjust, I turn my head slowly on the pillow to face him.

"P-P-Peeta," I manage to croak out. It is then that I realise how much my throat hurts and how badly my head is pounding.

"Hey Kat, thank God you're alright," he says, a small smile crossing his face.

"Peeta, it hurts." My voice is croaky and it doesn't sound like me at all.

He pushes some hair back from my face and kisses my forehead before pressing the call button on the side of my bed.

"Shhhh, don't talk. Are you cold?"

I nod my head, a small gesture because my headache is intense.

A doctor walks in and smiles when he sees I'm awake.

"Miss Everdeen, how are you feeling?" He asks.

"My...my h-head," I sigh, exasperated, when I can't get the words out. I turn to Peeta and he nods.

Peeta turns to the doctor and speaks for me. "She is still cold, her throat is sore and she has a pounding headache." The doctor nods and writes something on his clipboard.

"Miss Everdeen, you are free to go. I recommend for the next 24 hours you always have someone with you and that you keeep warm. Also, Peeta will have to sign your release papers."

I nod my head and the doctor gives me one last smile before walking out. With the help of Peeta I slowly sit up and swing my legs off the side of my bed.

Blood rushes to my head and suddenly I get so dizzy that everything turns black for a second. I steady myself with my hands on Peeta's shoulders.

Slowly, everything comes into focus again and I take a deep breath and gently stand up, gripping Peeta's hand hard.

"Are you ok, babe?" I nod slowly and stand up. Peeta's hands are firmly on my hips, helping me, and my hands are curled tightly on his shoulders.

He hands me a stack of clothes and with his help, I walk over to the bathroom and pull them on.

He wraps his arm around my waist and holds my hand with his.

Slowly, we walk down to the front desk and Peeta signs the release papers for me.

"Are you still cold?" Peeta asks me. I nod, still unable to talk. Peeta shrugs off his jacket and puts it on me, helping me slide my arms into it.

His arm goes back around my waist as we walk out to his car.

On the drive home, Peeta holds my hand and drives with his other. He is constantly looking over at me just to make sure I'm still there, even though he is not letting go of my hand.

Once we reach my apartment building, he helps me up and unlocks my door.

I go over and sit on the couch. Peeta crouches in front of me. Just then, Johanna comes through the door.

"Kat, I have to go to my shift at the bakery. Jo will watch you until I get back. Is that alright?" Peeta says to me.

I don't want him to leave. I need him, I need him like I need oxygen to live.

I shake my head violently. "No!" I croak out, gripping his hand and arm for dear life. "No!" It hurts to talk but I need him to stay.

"Babe, I don't want me to go either but I have to, I'll be back in a few hours."