Chapter 28: The Power of Love

For those of you who watched the trailer, you know what's coming. Be prepared!

For this chapter I recommend you listen to the song 'The power of love' by Gabrielle Aplin. It's beautiful and makes this chapter seem more alive. I attached it to this chapter.

This chapter...

Who

Will

Die?

I scream and water fills my lungs, burning as my body screams for air. I see the boat drive off and then I am alone.

My head pounds from lack of oxygen and my whole body starts to tingle. I feel myself getting dizzier and dizzier.

Slowly my eyes close and I drift off, letting the pain go away.

I open my eyes as the pain and burning in my lungs eases. I am blinded by a white light, and slap my hand over my eyes until I think I am used to it. I take my hand away and look around. Everything is white. I can't see anything else other than white.

What's happened? Where am I? I start to panic and then I see a dark blur, coming closer to me. I back up but it feels like I'm walking on air. I look down and notice that I can't actually see the ground, just lonely white.

"Katniss." I hear a voice, a familiar voice. I look up and see the dark figure has reached me. "Mum?" I whisper, shocked. She nods, tears flowing down her cheeks. I reach my hand up and see that I am crying too.

I run forward and fling myself into her arms. "Oh, Mother, I missed you so much." I cry, hugging her tightly. "I missed you, too." She says sadly. "Mum?" I ask slowly. "Yes?" She answers as though she knows what I'm going to ask.

"Am I... Am I dead?" I choke out. She lets out a shaky breath and nods. "My dear, you've done so well" she says pulling me in for a hug and brushing my hair with her fingers. I sob into her shoulder, my stomach churning.

"Katniss, you've grown into such a beautiful young woman. So, so beautiful." She cries and we stand there hugging each other tightly.

"Katniss." I look up from my mother's shoulder. "Daddy?" I ask in a small voice. He nods and I run up to him and hug him tightly. "I missed you." He murmurs.

I pull away as I remember something. "Peeta." I whisper and my parents smile at me sadly.

"PEETA!" I scream and fall down to my hands and knees. "What about the baby? And Peeta?" I cry and tears drip endlessly, pain shoots though my heart and my stomach drops. I feel a flying sensation and I look up and see I am standing on a beach, the wind whipping at my hair. I hear a pained scream, a heart pounding cry.

My head snaps up to Peeta, leaning forward, his hands still tied to the pole. He is screaming out for me, crying, begging. My heart rips and shreds into a million pieces.

"No," I gasp. "No!" I yell out. "Peeta, I'm right here." I yell and run over to him. I run straight into his arms but instead of being cuddled in his warmth, I slip straight through him. "Peeta, no!" I yell out. I walk back around but it still feels like I'm floating. I drop to my knees in front of him as he screams my name, begging me to come back to him.

"Peeta!" I hear a voice, other than mine. I look up and see all our friends sprinting towards us - him.

Cato, Gale and Finnick in the lead, Johanna, Annie, Madge and Delly running behind them. "Peeta, what happened?" Delly cries. "Where's Katniss?" They all drop to their knees in front of me, blocking him from my view.