Chapter 1

After I got up and stretched I went to my bathroom and did my hygiene routine. I left my room to go to Sasha's to wake her up. Her room has too many toys in it she needs to clean this. I went to her bedside and gently shook her.

"Sasha, Sasha wake-up." I said and she started to wake-up.

"Go in the bathroom and wash up. Mommy put your clothes on the chair last night. So get up and get ready." I told her.

"Ok" she said and went into we bathroom.

I went back to my room and got my uniform out. Today was the first day of school even though I wore uniform I had to look fly. I wore a white polo and khaki shorts. I hooked my uniform up with my Jordan Son of Mars; a Mickey Mouse chain mom bought me, a baby g-shock and purple my beats by Dre. When I went downstairs to my surprise mom was cooking breakfast. I know people think she can't cook but she does o.k. She was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with her hair in a ponytail.

"Good morning Ma." I said as I sat on the island stool.

"Good morning sweetie, you ready for seventh grade?" she asked as she handed me a plate.

"Yeah, I guess. It's better than sixth." I said biting into some toast. 

"Good morning Ma." Corey said sitting next to me.

"Wassup BK." he said to me.

He always calls me BK. I mean he could call me Brook, Lyn, shoot I'd even go for Giselle which is my middle name but no he calls me BK. I guess it's whatever. 

"You ready for school?" Mom asked him.

"Yeah." he said downing his breakfast.

"Then where's your backpack?" she asked.

"First day of school mom, all you need is a notebook and pencil for the first two days." he said.

"Yeah, ok." she said then she turned to me. "Brooklyn, where's your sister

"Uh, I woke her up and I don't know what happened after that." I said.

"I'll go get her.” she said as she went upstairs.

"BK, don't let anyone mess with you, you hear me. They gonna say some stuff about our family but don't listen to them at all got it." Corey said to me.

"Yeah, I already know." I said.

"Already know what?" My dad said coming into the kitchen to get some juice out the fridge.

"Morning daddy, you know don't listen to the haters don't let nobody mess with me." I told him.

"Exactly, you’re a Carter. Anybody mess with you show 'em the business." he said laughing with my brother.

"You already know." I said getting down off the stool and putting my backpack on about to leave.

"Whoa, we're you going with that?" mom asked me coming down the steps.

"With what?" I asked with confusion.

"With those beats." she said.

"To school" I said.

"Uh huh, you’re not taking those so you can lose them I don't think so." She said holding her hand out.

"But I'm..." I started

"Either regular gummy headphones or you listen to air." she said.

I sat and thought did I really want to challenge her this morning. I really wanted to take my beats because they actually matched my outfit. I guess I sat too long thinking because my mom had her eyebrow raised and I noticed my brother was already gone and my sister was I guess in the living room waiting for me. It was just my mom and dad left. I guess I really took too long.

"Now you’re not taking anything. Put the beats and iPod upstairs." she said.

"But..." I said as I could feel the tears coming from the pit of my stomach.

"We don't have time for the tears so take it upstairs and hurry up before you miss the bus." she said.

I wiped the tears that had fallen down my face as I walked upstairs. I went to my room and thought that I could put the iPod in my backpack and leave the beats and get the gummy headphones. I wiped my face, put my stuff in my backpack and went back downstairs. I had five minutes to get make the bus so I was speed walking pass my parents and telling Sasha to come on. I had my hand on the door until my mom called me.

"Brooklyn Giselle Carter." she said.

"Yes?" I said.

"Walk backwards towards me." she said.

Dang it! This is not going to end well. How did she know? I am caught red handed. I can't even blame anyone but myself. I saw Sasha just looking at me like she was sad and knew I was going down. We’re not gonna make the bus now. I heard my mom unzip my backpack and knew it was over.

"I know you think you slick, but you’re not." She said to me. "Now I want you to go get your beats from upstairs and give them to me and your phone and other iPod and iPad."

I went upstairs and got all the stuff she asked for and put them on the kitchen counter. My dad sat there with a confused face.

"What are doing?" he asked.

"Mom wanted it." I said

"Why?" he asked.

"Because I did something." I said.

"What did you do Brooklyn?" he asked.

"I uhm snuck my iPod in my backpack to take to school." I told him and he just shook his head.

"I know y'all done missed the bus and I know your mom is in the car so leave this stuff here and get in the car. I'll talk to you later." he said.

I left all the stuff on the kitchen counter and went to the car to where my mom and sister were. I got in the passenger seat and put my seatbelt on. My mom had her Pandora playlist playing in the car and drove us to school. Fifteen minutes later we arrived at school. It was a private school that went from K to eighth grade. I was about to get out until my mom told me wait.

"Bye mommy." my sister said getting out the car.

"Bye baby, have a good day." she said.

"O.K." my sister said and went into the school.

I was looking out the window when my mom put her hand on top of my head and turned it to face her. It wasn't a pleasant face I saw.

"I don't seem to understand why you don't listen." My mom said.

I just looked down I didn't have an answer.

"Why did you do it?" she asked.

"I just wanted my music." I said.

"Well now you have nothing. If you would have just left it at home instead of being sneaky you could listen to it when you get home. Now you have to wait a week. Next time are you going to listen to me and do what I say?" she asked.

"Yes, I didn't mean to be sneaky I just wanted my music. I'm sorry" I said looking at her.

"I know, just next time do what I say. No go before your late." she said.

"Ok, bye." I said getting out the car.

"Bye." she said and drove off as I walked into the building.