Ghosts That Last A Lifetime

I know what people say, 'this isn't true, she's just making it up' but I'm not. I'm going to tell you a story about the presence of a spirit who has been with our family since I can remember.

I moved around a lot, but from what I can remember it started when I was the age of 4, just after we had moved into our new home. My Dad used to recall hearing footsteps coming from the landing outside my bedroom, yet when he came to check on me I was fast asleep. I could tell this used to worry him as he would always tell me to let him know if I saw anything. My dad moved out soon after that. My mum said he couldn't take it anymore.

I understand now. Minor things like footsteps and things going missing occurred quite frequently over the course of the next 7 years, some more then others, but my dad would never step foot in that house again.

My mum started going crazy, she became an alcoholic. I would even hear her talking to herself or find her staring at the wall by the fireplace. Eventually we decided to move to a town calked st'Neots on the outskirts of Cambridge. I didn't want to leave my friends or my dad but both my parents said it was for the best. The house we moved into was owned by my mum's new boyfriend, old, Victorian and huge. I only lived there for 9 months.

It all started well, no footsteps, no unexplainable noises, life was good. But of course, that didn't last long. After about 3 months things started to happen again. However, it got bad quickly. I started to see shadows of a man, a tall man, standing in the corners of some rooms. I would sometimes hear my name being called and I started to experience bad recurring dreams.

My mum and I didn't get on much, but since we moved to that house, we hated each over. My mum went back to drinking again and had a go at me for everything. So I went and stayed at my friend's house for the night after an argument with my mum. My friend was home alone until 12am, we just talked about the events that were occurring in my house until there was a power-cut. We tried to get out her room but the door was locked... Like someone was holding it shut from the other side. It only opened again when her parents got home.

It was only a week after that night I moved in with my dad. My mum's 'boyfriend' didn't want me there because he hated my 'lying' about all my ghost stories. My mum left too, she was put into prison for reasons I do not want to discuss. But now I live with my dad, and I have been for the past 2 and a half years.

Since I moved in with my dad 'paranormal' things have still occurred, but nothing as extreme. I haven't seen or heard from my mum since I moved from Cambridge. My dad says it's for the best I don't.

Sometimes I ask my dad questions about what happened, and why it did. He tells me it started with my grandmother. And sometimes he asks me questions too, about the tall shadow man. He explained to me that I had seen him when I was little as well, although I don't remember. I used to say to him that the shadow man visited me in my dream.