Chapter 26- Late Night Visits

Marinette's POV

"Why it was me, sweetcakes."

I turned around and saw those dark brown eyes staring back at me. "James?!?!"

"Hey, buttercup."

"W-What are you doing here..?" I asked still in shock.

"Oh, well I was just in the area and thought I'd swing by to see someone." He glanced in Chloe's direction. "You see...Chloe and I are cousins." He smirked.

My eyes widened looking from James to Chloe.  T-they-- you two? Are...WHAT?!?!

He averted his gaze towards Chloe, "You better have not told her anything."

"Oh, and what would you do?" Chloe sneered.  

His eyes turned darker in that instant, "You already know what I'll do, Chloe." He spat, his voice leaking with venom. 

Instantly, Chole paled from her cousin's words. "James...I think you should leave." She said.

He looked towards Chloe, "And why should I do that hun? I just got here. I think I should stick around for a little longer, after all, I am a guest aren't I?" He answered smugly.

"Well, technically you invited yourself in," I responded rolling my eyes.

"I'm family, sweetheart, so..."

Chloe scoffed, "Yeah, right." She muttered. 

He narrowed his gaze towards Chloe, "What was that?" 

"It's getting late so you should get home in time for dinner, I don't think your parents would be quite happy if you missed curfew." Chloe pointed towards the window as she spoke.

"Tch-!" He whipped his head towards the window, the sun was already beginning to set. He walked back towards the doorway, but left one final message for Chloe, "Don't say anything you'll regret...cousin." He left without a response.

Chloe sighed with relief as James left the room. "Marinette," She said her voice soaked with guilt. "I'm so so sorry you had to deal with him, it's my fault, I shouldn't have brought you here, I didn't-"

"It's not your fault, you don't need to apologize." I reasoned. 

"I know but-"

I cut her off, "No buts, we'll continue this discussion tomorrow. I have to be home for dinner too."  

"Alright, where should we meet up?"

"We could go to this new cafe that opened after school tomorrow," I suggested.

She smiled brightly, "Sure, that would be great."

"Ok, see you tomorrow Chloe, and thank you for inviting me over!"

"Y-yeah, see you tomorrow."

~At home~

It was now 8:00 pm and I was in pajamas pacing around my room. I can't believe Chloe and James are cousins! They don't even look alike, even though that's not the point. What did James not want Chloe to tell me? Is he threatening her? But why would he threaten his own cousin? What's going on in Chloe's family??

"MARINETTE!"

I jumped when someone yelled my name. I turned to see Tikki with a worried expression on her face. "Sorry Tikki, what were you saying?" 

"I've been trying to get your attention for the past 5 minutes. Are you thinking about the James and Chloe situation?" 

I nodded my head, "Yeah, it's just I don't know... I'm-"