*4*

(Melissa POV)

When I woke up I looked around and saw a sleeping Cammie. She looked so peaceful and cute. This past week has been hell for me. My father wouldn't let me leave the house not even for school. He spent the entire week 'beating the gay' out of me, as he called it. I don't care though, just the thought of Cammie was able to get me through the week. I honestly didn't think she would come and get me out of there. I didn't think that she cared that much about me, but then she decided to pack some of my clothes and take me to her house, she wanted to make sure the rest of my body wasn't as bad as my face and when I broke down she took me to her room and let me cry into her neck until I fell asleep. She took care of me. No one has ever really done that, well not since my mom died. I need to find a way to thank her. I decided to make lunch for us since it is almost two in the afternoon. I took my sweet time getting out of because my stomach was hurting, seriously is it so hard to move with bruises on my stomach. Eventually I got down the stairs and went to the kitchen.

I opened the fridge to see what I could find. There were a shit ton of fruits in there, along with some things to make a sandwich. So, I decided to make turkey, ham and cheese sandwiches and fruit salad. As I was chopping the fruits I felt warm air on my neck, and Cammie in a raspy 'I just woke up voice' said "what are you doing?" I turned around and looked her. Her beautiful green eyes were half closed until she rubbed the sleep away. Once her eyes were fully opened she smiled and I smiled at her, even though my lip is busted, and it hurt like hell. "After everything you have done for me, I wanted to thank you, so I made us some lunch," I whispered fearing that she would be angry with me, but her smile grew wider, and I quietly sighed in relief. I put the two plates on the table and we sat down and ate. "You know I'm going to have to check the rest of your body for bruises, right?" As soon as she said that. I felt a lump in my throat and began to panic. I guess she noticed because she grabbed my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. She looked at me worry in her eyes and she said "I'll be extra careful. I promise." All I could do was nod since the lump was still in my throat and we headed back to the bathroom.

(Cammie's POV)

When we got to the bathroom she hesitantly started to take off her clothes. she was having a lot of trouble getting her shirt off. She would wince every time she tried to lift it. "Here let me do it." I said softly. She turned around and looked at me for what felt like a lifetime. Her normally blue eyes were more grey than blue, they were dull, almost lifeless, just looking into her eyes I could tell that she wanted to give up on everything, but I won't let her. In reality we were only staring into each other's eyes for about 45 seconds before she just nodded. I let my hands fall down the sides of her body slowly until they reached the bottom of shirt. I grabbed the sides and carefully lifted the shirt until it was over her head, and I threw it on the ground. I also slid her black skinny jeans to the ground, she kicked them off to the side. I stood up and examined her body.

My eyes scanned her body several times. I was baffled at the amount of bruises littered her skin. Looking at all of the bruises on her body replaced every ounce of any emotion I had with pure, unadulterated anger. She had one big bruise in the right side of her abdomen, and the rest of it had small, minor bruises. There were a lot of bruises that were yellow and starting to fade, but there were even more red and swelling new ones. Looking at them made me start to feel sick like I wanted to throw up. I let my fingers softly touch her abdomen and trace around all of the bruises. Every time I came to close to one of them she would flinch and pull away. "I'm so sorry," I whispered because I didn't want her to know that I was on the verge of tears and because I was afraid that if I spoke any louder that she would shatter into a million pieces like glass being dropped on the floor. By now she was crying but not as bad as earlier today. I cleaned the bruises on her stomach with every bruise I cleaned the more my anger was starting to build up inside me. After I was done I looked and saw that there were more bruises on her thighs. I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable, so I asked "do you want me to take care of the ones on your thighs as well? If not, that's fine I'll let you do it. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. I just want to make sure you are ok... sorry." I mentally slapped myself across the face for rambling. She looked down at me and choked out a "It's ok, I actually need your help," between her cries in a raspy voice from crying so much. I nodded and started cleaning the rest of the bruises, trying to keep my cool. Once I was done she thanked me, I smiled and told her it was no problem. I picked her up and lied her down in the guest room, when I went to leave she grabbed my hand and asked, "Can I stay with you in your room." I picked her up again and brought her to my room and set her on the bed. "go to sleep, love. I'll come back to bed soon." I told her and kissed her forehead. She nodded, wrapped herself in the blanket and with that she was asleep.

I went down to the basement and started taking out my anger on the punching bag. Eventually, the punching bag wasn't enough, I needed to feel the pain of breaking my hand on something solid. God knows I deserve all of that pain, I blame myself for her suffering. I should have ended her father the moment I saw him. I started punching the wall repeatedly, I wanted to scream until my voice gave out, but I didn't want to wake Melissa up, so instead, I just punched the wall even harder. I lost track of time while punching the wall, so I don't know how long it was before my body gave out from exhaustion. I fell to the floor and sobbed, all of this was bringing up memories from my past. I know this isn't supposed to be about me but damn. I pulled myself off the floor and went to the bathroom to clean and bandage my hand. Once that was done I went to my room and saw Melissa sleeping peacefully, wrapped like a burrito. I lightly moved the blanket from underneath her, and I slide in next to her. I wrapped my arms around her and gently pulled her body towards mine, until the gap between us was closed. She unconsciously turned over in my arms, so that our faces were inches apart. I kissed her forehead and whispered "I won't let him hurt you anymore. You're safe with me." And with that, I fell into a deep slumber.