Chapter 9

"So, are you nervous?" Camila asks as they stand in line at the courthouse with the twins.

Lauren nodded. "Yeah."

"Don't be, all we have to do is sign some papers and talk to a judge before you can officially call the twins yours." Camila says softly.

Jaxson shifts uncomfortably, "Mama!"

Lauren looked at Jaxson. "Yeah?"

"No like," he whines, pulling on the shirt he was wearing.

"We don't have another shirt." Lauren said softly.

Whining, Jaxson pulls harder on his shirt, tears filling his eyes. "No like."

Lauren and Camila shared a look.

The four year old was getting really upset. "No like!"

"What do we do?" Lauren asked worriedly.

Biting her lip, Camila pulls out her purse and begins searching through it. "I might have a shirt in here."

Lauren nodded.

Jaxson was still pulling roughly on his shirt. "Off!"

Camila pulled a shirt out of her bag.

"Mama, want off!" Jaxson screams, tears falling from his eyes.

Lauren quickly took the shirt from Camila and made her way to the restroom so she could change Jaxson's shirt.

Jaxson continues trying to pull on his shirt while they're walking to the bathroom.

Lauren put Jaxson down on the counter and helped him take off his shirt.

"Thanks mama." Jaxson says softly.

Lauren smiled shyly she helped Jaxson pull on the shirt Camila had given them.

Twenty minutes later.

Jaxson buries his face in Lauren's neck, he was falling asleep as they filled out the paperwork for the adoption.

Lauren pushed her glasses up her nose and picked up the pen to write her signature in the box.

Shifting one last time, Jaxson falls asleep.

Looking at Camila, Lauren wasn't sure what to do now.

The judge takes the papers and signs them himself before smiling. "Miss Jauregui, you have adopted Jaxson and Annabelle."

Lauren swallowed. "Thank you." She said slowly.

"You're welcome." The judge says, handing Lauren the certificates for adoption.

Lauren stared at the certificates in amazement.

****

"So it's official?" Dinah asks, looking at the adoption papers.

Lauren nodded as she came into the room carrying one of the cakes Jaxson had decorated. "It's official."

"Oh wow, did you decorate those?" Ally asks, staring at the cakes in awe.

Lauren shook her head. "Jaxson did."

"Really?" Ally asks in shock, looking toward the sleeping four year old.

"Yeah." Lauren nodded, cutting the cake.

"Did you help him?" Dinah asks tilting her head to the side.

Lauren shook her head. "Nope." She placed the slice of cake on a plate and handed it to Dinah.

Taking the slice, Dinah takes a bite. "Oh wow, this is amazing."