9

I burned rubber as I drove like a maniac around the road, going against everything I learned in Driver’s Ed. My dad. My abusive, neglecting, perverted, power-hungry, asshole of a dad has found us! Oh gods this day cannot get any worse!

“Get on the highway,” Chance ordered, barely controled panic clear in her voice. “They’ll be able to get a better lock on us with the lack of no-man’s-lands. But if we stay here we are as good as caught.”

“Okay,” I said turning on my blinker to merge into the next lane as rain pounded on the windshield like bullets. “And what do we do if they do find us?”

“Hope for the best and fight like hell.” She said reaching into the glove compartment and pulling out an old pistol. “Just in case,” she said glancing down at my injured arm. “How fast can you run?”

“Pretty fast,” I said as I watched the speedometer climb to sixty- five. “I was on the track team too.”

  “Good,” she said with an approving bob of her head. “How’s your ability to knife fight?”

“What I’ve seen in the movies,” I answered as I stared out at the road trying to see through the downpour. I had no such luck and just tried to say in my lane wishing I was like Chance and had taken tons of fighting type classes when I wasn't a prison escapee. I had a feeling those skills would be a huge help right now.

“Damn,” she said pulling out the knife from her sleeve and pushing the button, the small, sharp blade swinging out. “Well we just have to- LOOK OUT!” Her warning didn’t matter, we’d hydroplane and I had no control over the old truck. I gripped the wheel tightly as we smashed into the black truck in front of us. The screech of metal crashing against metal clawed at my ears as the airbag blasted out and into my face with the force of a kangaroo kick.

Then a second later it was over, I pushed the deflated airbag back away from me, spitting as I tasted blood in my mouth. “You okay?” I called over to Chance who was beating back her airbag too.

“Fine, get out of the car, we have to leave this. We’ve got to keep going.” She unbuckled fast and grabbed her backpack from the back seat and handed me the knife. “Hide it up your sleeve or something. I can’t have us walking around unarmed. Come on.”

“Okay,” I said hopping out of the truck noting the accordion like pattern on the hood. Chance’s uncle was not getting his truck back. I yanked the sleeve of my sweatshirt down hididng my hand a bit and hopefully that would be enough to hide the knife too. I agreed with Chance, walking around without a weapon was a bad idea. A switchblade might not be enough to send a god to the Underwolrd, but it might be enough to help me get away if we ever got seperated. What would we do if that happened....? We needed to talk about that...I made the note to myself to bring it up at the soonest possible time and started to focus on the current problem as sheets of rain pelted me.

“You guys okay?” shouted a deep male voice through the storm, the guy we hit and I was tempted to open my mouth and answer him. Let him know it wasn't his fault and all, but Chance wasn't going to have that.

“Don’t answer,”  she said  to me as a rumble of thunder drowned us out from the other guy’s hearing.

“I know,” I said as she picked up speed sprinting on the side of road.  In the rain, this was going to really suck. It felt like ruber bullets where hitting me and I could barely see a thing.  Doesn't mean I like it, I thought back to her as  I picked up my speed and followed Chance into the downpour.

***

By the time we made it to inner city Buffalo, I was soaked down to my bones, sure I was never going to be warm or dry ever again and my legs felt like Jell-O. I was never going to be able to eat any dessert with that stuff ever again. "Here!" Chance called over the storm and I spotted a Plexiglass bus stop.