The Billionaire's Housekeeper - Chapter 35

The car slowed gently, coming to a stop next to the curb. There was a procession of vehicles ahead of them, parents swiftly unloading their children from the vehicle with ease. None of the other parents appeared to have the same anxiety and apprehension that she was feeling. Her heart was fluttering within her chest even though she was not technically a parent.

Betsy turned in her seat and gave the children a grin. Delilah was in her uniform, the grey pleated skirt and blue cardigan with her auburn coloured hair pulled into plaits. The young girl's eyes were following the children outside, her nose pressed against the glass as if to get as close to the action as possible.

"Are you ready to go in?"

The girl dragged her eyes away from the glass and nodded her head enthusiastically. There was no apprehension on her part. Her hands were already scrabbling to unbuckle her seatbelt so that she could go and join the others. Betsy leant between the seats to help her escape the safety device even as Nick made his way around the car.

The door was pulled open and Delilah was in his arms before Nick had a chance to prepare himself. He caught her just in time, a laugh escaping his lips as he hugged her close.

"Whoa there, speedy. School's not going anywhere." He pressed his lips to her forehead before lowering her to the ground.

Delilah immediately took off towards the gates causing Nick to lunge to catch her hand. "I know you want to go in but wait for a moment."

"I'm sorry, Daddy." She replied, her eyes already drifting to the playground beyond. She bounced on the balls of her feet in excitement.

Betsy watched all of this from her seat, her hand coming to rest over her heart as looked at two of the people who owned it.

"Where's your bag? There it is. Got your coat? Oh yeah, you're wearing it." Nick muttered.

Laughing, Betsy shook her head and opened her door. "Nick, stop fussing. Delilah will be fine. She is your daughter after all." She paused and glanced at the excitable little girl before glancing back at him. "You can do this. I promise."

Nick nodded his head, before leading Delilah over to her open door. "Say bye to Betsy."

Delilah leaned forward and gave her a half-hearted hug, her eyes drawn back to the playing children. "Bye Betsy."

"Goodbye sweetheart. Have a great day." Betsy replied, tucking a loose strand of Delilah's hair behind her ear as she did so. "Take her in Nick. I think she's waited enough."

Delilah immediately started tugging on his hand, the words spurring her into action. "Come on, daddy. They'll start without us."

Laughing at his daughter's antics, Nick allowed the small girl to pull him along as he threw a hasty wave over his shoulder. Shaking her head at the pair of them, Betsy closed the car door to shut out the cold.

"Where's Lilah?" Tommy asked, leaning forwards in his seat so that he could look out the window.

"She's gone to school." Betsy replied, grinning at the pout that formed on his face. "You'll see her later. Are you ready to go to nursery?"

"No." The small boy responded, falling back against the head rest with a huff, his arms folding across in his chest.

"Are you sure? There will be children there for you to play with."

Tommy waited for a moment, his lips pursed and a frown on his forehead. "Play?" He shrugged his shoulders. "Okay."

Snorting out a laugh, Betsy turned around in her seat and waited for Nick to return.