Missing Affect

When the concert was over, Camilla and I got to wait with the crew until they were leaving. I had some fun with Honey, listening to her do some freestyle rap for Camilla and I. Word eventually spread that we'd be coming with Tyga to Cleveland tomorrow.

When Camilla found out, ironically, she wasn't thrilled. "You told him we were going to Cleveland?

I stared at her, a confused expression on my face. It was kind of surprising that she was upset about this. I mean, Camilla was the girl that wrote Tyga's name on her classwork where her name was supposed to go. He was all she thought about; Camilla was obsessed with him.

And it seemed like she'd do anything to spend time with him, at least until know.

"As a matter of fact, I told him I'd go to Cleveland. So if you don't want to go, that's fine." I said assertively. I regretted saying it in the manner I did when I saw the expression on Camilla's face. She looked surprised, and a little hurt. 

"Look, I didn't mean it that way, Camilla. I just--

"You know what? That's fine. Gator offered to take us home earlier, anyway. I'll go home like a smart girl. I met Tyga, I got what I wanted, but I'm not going to go overboard. I'll call you and tell you how bad your Mama says she's going to whoop your butt."

With that, she turned and left, walking over to the other wing of backstage. I watched as she walked up to a girl that was part of our little crew, Jasmine, and started talking to her like they'd known each other for years.

You know what, I told myself, don't let Camilla bug you. You're onto something; your intuition is telling you to go, so you have to just go.

And in the morning, I did go.

                                           *    *     *

We slept at a hotel for the night. Camilla slept in a room with Jasmine, and I slept in a room with Honey. We talked all night long, and I told her about how Camilla was acting. She said not to sweat it, that if I was sure I was making the right decision, then go for it. 

But she also said that I should be prepared for a serious beating when I got back home.

We got breakfast at a breakfast place a few minutes ago, and I'd just finished eating my bagel. I was driving my car alone; Camilla went in Jasmine's car. The car was eerily silent, and I started to feel like I was doing something wrong.

As we drove along the highway, I went over everything that had happened the night before. Remembering it now, it all seemed so fake...

Suddenly, I heard my ringtone play. My phone was in my bag, which was in the backseat. I pulled over to get the phone out of my bag. By then, a car had already passed me, and my phone stopped ringing.

It was Keron. I drove behind the car, upset that I was far away from the crew now. I dialed Keron's number back.

"Jaydi? Are you okay?" He said as soon as I answered. He actually sounded concerned. Keron caring about something? That sounded crazy.

"I'm fine. How'd everything go yesterday?"

"How do you think it went? Everyone was worried as hell! We thought something happened to you! You just left that random note, and then I told them that you got a 911 text from Camilla. But then I had to say that Camilla was choking on some breakfast, but her mom got concerned. Did you get to the concert? Where are you Jaydi?"

Keron was yelling now. I tried to imagine the look on Mama's face. The "I'm going to kill that little girl" look, or the "what am I going to do?" look. Maybe a combination of both.