Chapter One "Mystery Man"

We were chest to chest, my arms around his neck, his hands around my waist. We were so close I could feel his warm breath on my lips, it made me shiver. I look into his eyes and leaned in even closer, our lips grazing each other. Just as we were about to kiss he whispers to me, "wake up"....... Wait what?

I can hear the blare of my morning alarm ring in my ear waking me from my lovely yet very fictional dream. I look at my alarm clock that reads a quarter after six. Great. Throwing my blanket off my body I get up to start my day. I don't take the time to look at myself in the mirror, I already know what's there and it isn't the best. It's a struggle for me, everyday, finding the right thing to wear, messing with my hair so that I am able to hide certain parts of me, and the worst part going out and showing myself to people. I may seem dramatic but I can't be the only person that feels this way. Being a woman that isn't what fits society's idea of a perfect woman is hard to get through.

Sighing I make my way down the hall, being as quiet as I can be. As I turn the corner I tip-toe my way to my favorite place in my small apartment, the nursery. I widen the slightly open door and make my way to my son, he just turned three months and I couldn't believe how fast the time went. Yes, I am a mother, but not by choice and not by a man that I was in a relationship with, I was raped. It's a story for another time. I also have always been a women that struggle with weight and being what most people call plus- sized even before having my child and then after having her it was even harder. I picked him up when I saw his bright blue eyes flutter open and got him ready to eat before he starts to cry.

Being just shy of twenty-one, on top of being a single mother, on top of working more than I see my child, on top of being fat is difficult. My parents aren't around anymore and any family that I have has broke any contact with me once they found out the news of my pregnancy. Yet, with everything that has happened I am still able to put a smile on my face and it's solely because of my son.

The doorbell rings bringing me out of my thoughts. I look down at my son, my baby Hope, his eyes falling shut after being finished eating, sinking into a blissful sleep. His name came from the time in my life where I was about to give up on everything, I even considered giving him up for adoption. But I couldn't, he was mine, my baby boy, when he was given to me after having him and the way he laid on my chest, content, peaceful, beautiful, I knew I couldn't let him go. He gave me Hope. And I know, it's not your typical boy name, but his full name is Hope Jax Everly. So people can call him Jax if they want but he'll always be my Hope.

I get up and lay him down in her crib, turn on the baby monitor and go to the door. Looking through the peephole, I see an all too familiar face. I open the door and am greeted by a warm smile.

"Iris! Good morning lovey! How's the baby?" She stated all at once while greeting me with a half hug. Her hands were full of coffee and food.

"He just went down for a nap, Ms. Bailey."

"Don't call me that! I've told you time and time again to call me Rosa. Anywho, I got breakfast!" This woman is way to chippy for it being this hour.

"Thank you." She brings me food almost every morning and I know better than to argue.

Ms. Bailey or Rosa as she likes to be called is my neighbor. She is in her late fifties and she is my best friend, and also my babysitter. She is my life saver and I owe her my life but she won't take a damn penny from me. I've tried to sneak it in but every time she leaves and I think I got away with it, I find the money somewhere in the house every damn time. I have to work and I wouldn't be able to afford a real babysitter, I can barely afford monthly rent.

"I'm going to get ready for work and then I will come out and enjoy this lovely breakfast!" I say and she nods before I turn towards my room again.

I shower quickly, no time to enjoy it or else my electric bill will be through the roof! I get out and apply light makeup, who am I trying to impress, and put my black jeans and navy blue button up blouse. I stuff my apron and name tag in my purse and make my way out to the kitchen. It's about seven thirty now and I have another hour before I have to be at work. I work at a coffee cafe, the same one Rosa bought me breakfast at. The cafe opens at six-thirty and I would love those extra hours but I work all day and I barely get to see my baby so I'll risk the extra ten dollars or whatever to just get to be with her.