Chapter 19 - New Experiences

June Wolez

Methane and I spent the entire night talking and laughing over the phone. Even as I went to bed when the sun was shining outside the window, I had a smile plastered to my face. It was my first time staying up so late, but then again, I was experiencing a lot of firsts now. Although Camilla would certainly kill me for each of these firsts.

I was woken up in the late afternoon by a call from Ella.

As soon as I put the receiver to my ear, Ella started speaking, "Hey, it's Neil's birthday tomorrow. Violet wants to surprise him at twelve by throwing a party at a club. So you in?"

I rubbed my face to get rid of the grogginess and replied, "Yes, of course. Who else is invited?"

"Anyone who isn't hated by Neil," Ella joked. "Which basically means anyone from the school. You know, Neil doesn't really celebrate his birthday, even though he has tons of friends. That's why Violet decided he deserves a grand party on his sweet sixteenth. Also, we will be telling Neil that the club belongs to Violet's dad's friend and it's for free, so be careful not to let it slip that Violet is the one paying for everything."

I hummed in response. Neil was self-dependent; his dad was paralyzed and his mom worked to pay all the expensive medical bills and house bills while Neil himself managed the other bills by working part-time jobs and doing music gigs because he was a singer and a guitarist. Meanwhile, his girlfriend Violet belonged to a really wealthy family. He hated Violet spending too much money on him. "Yeah, of course. I will tell Camilla then."

"And confirm me, okay?"

"Yeah, and um, I have another question, can I bring a plus one?" I asked a little hesitantly.

I could almost see Ella's eyebrow raise. "Who can be your plus one besides me?"

I suppressed my urge to giggle and answered normally, "You will see."

"Why don't I have a good feeling about this?" she asked suspiciously, and I let out a chuckle.

"Just wait."

###

I was practically walking on air as I got ready into a sleeveless bottle green knee-length dress. I informed Camilla that I would be staying over at Ella's place tonight, which was a lie, of course; otherwise, she would never let me go to a party at midnight. I was going to crash at Ella's place after the party, though.

It went without saying that my plus-one was going to be Methane. This party would be the perfect place to let everyone know that Methane and I were a couple now.

I told Methane to come to pick me up a couple of hours earlier because I had somewhere to be at first.

When I heard a honk from outside, I grinned and grabbed my golden purse before running downstairs in my black high heels.

Methane was standing outside the car, and I ran to throw myself on him. "Hey, I missed you, handsome," I told him, grinning up at him with my arms around his neck.

He placed his hands on my waist, and I didn't feel weird like that day. He matched my grin and said, "I missed you as well, babe, even though it's only been twenty-eight hours since we last saw each other."

I couldn't help but blush a little at the new endearment. He started calling me that last night, and I really liked the sound of it. I finally had someone who would call me with a sweet nickname—things that boyfriends do. Schoolmate Methane and boyfriend Methane were vastly different.